1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Cloner 11 copies but not like original?

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by finepics, May 12, 2004.

1. finepics

finepics Member

Until recently I have been happily using X-Copy Express. I have read the various negative remarks on the forums about it - but I have to say the backups I have made (about 40-50) have all been perfect. However, having read a glowing review of DVD Cloner 11, thoght I'd give it a try. The read and copy took 40 mins (One Hour Photo) but the copied disc starts with a blank screen. The title and lead in to the main menu do not seem to follow each other, so to play the film I had to manually select the Title and Chapter. Any ideas anyone? Perhaps better the devil I know but X-Copy Xpress now throws up an I/O error when it starts to write but then copies ok anyway!!

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

I've heard nothing but bad stuff about DVD Cloner. If you can, get your money back.

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

4. finepics

finepics Member

Thanks for that. Just tried Shrink. Very quick to rip (about 20mins) and on a par with XPress and Cloner. During the burn process it froze at 99% and I had to power off/reboot to free up the DVD drive. Movie was fine though, so this could be a Nero problem I guess. I like the flexibility of shrink - but I have to say for simplicity, and no difference in quality, it looks like XPress will still be my choice.

Last edited: May 13, 2004
  5. TMcCallie

TMcCallie Regular member

DVD Cloner 2 would not work for me either. Half the time it would not read the DVD and I got error: Burn failed just about every time. I never made one single copy with it that would play on my stand alone or computer.

I was within my 30 days and after a dozen or more e-mails asking for my money back, I got e-mail that let me download a form to apply for my refund. Suppose to take 10 days and I am just waiting to see if it gives it to me.

I told them that I was blasting it on every forum that I posted on if they did not give me my money back.

Will be blasting it, if they dont's refund me my 59.95.

6. sbajwa

sbajwa Member

I have same very bad experience with DVD Cloner II. Almost every time reading failed, no burns.Software is deadly slow. No success with long movie. Only once, I got successful burn-Kangaroo Jack-after 1 hr and 45 mins.
    After more than a dozen emails(Every time have to explain in detail), I have sent form for refund.

I am unable to understand, the quality of TOP TEN Reviews(DVD Cloner II is on top in that review).

7. TMcCallie

TMcCallie Regular member

I know it was #1 in reviews. That is why I ordered it. They must be the one that came up with the biggest payoff.

Anyway, I hope they do send me my refund so I won't have to waste my time blasting them on the forum that recommended them.

8. Nephilim

Out of curiousity, where is this vaunted "Top Ten" where DVD Cloner was rated so high? Anybody have a link?

9. Braxas

Braxas Member

I've been looking for more flexibility in my backups as well. I've been finding a lot of the time I just simply don't want to keep the menus/extras and have started playing more with Shrink. I just backed up my copy of 2 Fast 2 Furious - that was a fun backup! Just to prove the point - I re-authored the DVD. 2 Fast 2 Furious has a "Prelude" that kind of fits the pieces together between The Fast and The Furious to 2 Fast 2 Furious so I put that first and dropped the movie in right behind it. I cut the credits out of the Prelude so it would jump right to the Universal logo which starts 2 Fast 2 Furious. Works very nicely I must say.

I'm not sure about the option with DVD Shrink that says something about, "Burn at least 30mm for higher DVD+R/RW compatibility" but I've been using it and so far all the backups have played perfectly on a very picky Zenith ABV341 (Allegro VHS/DVD unit) that I've tried it on - this is the most success I've had with Shrink/Nero by far and hope it continues. Using Ritek/Ridata (RICOHJPNR01) DVD+R's with my Liteon LDW-451S. For a free solution (If you already have Nero anyway) it does a fantastic job on par if not better than Nero Recode 2. Problem I had with Nero Recode 2 is it seemed to down-sample the sound since the backups weren't as loud as my originals. I don't have that issue with Shrink. Plus Shrink does not need an external program to rip the files to the hard drive, it does it all on it's own for the encryption/macrovision removing.

If you're having issues with Nero completing the burn, try dropping your speed down some, update firmware for your drive and also check what media you are using. If it's off-brand media try something like Ritek G04's (If you prefer DVD-R) or Ritek/Ridata DVD+R's (My preference). Ritek is pretty much compatible with any burner out there so it's a good solid choice to go with for compatibility purposes to eliminate other things that might be causing you problems.

10. clock

clock Member

Hi guys
    I was using that DVD x copy when I started and now I use Clone DVD and haven"t looked back works every time without fail , Its easy to use and leaves great picture.
    cheers

11. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

finepics and TMcCallie, I actually have DVDXCOPY Platinum, DVDCloner2 and also use DVDShrink with DVDDecrypter. The problem you are describing of DVDCloner going through the process, burning and ending up with a burned blank disc is easily fixed by updating your aspi layer. Either aspi will work 4.71 or 4.60. Try this.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/aspisetup.cfm

12. flip218

Also the speed is somewhere around 45min to 1 hour. The quality is great, and like using DVDShrink with DVDDecrypter you don't get the "DVD BACKUP" screen that xcopy gives you. Now don't forget the speed of your computer will affect the speed of the program.

I wouldn't knock dvdcloner2, only thing is that is cost money. Shrink and Decrypter are free.

Last edited: May 16, 2004
  13. brian100

brian100 Guest

http://www.dvd-copy-software-review.com/dvd-cloner-ii-review.html

No DVD2one, Shrink, Pinnacle IC 7/8. Pathetic effort by this "Site". Makes me wanna hurl chunks.

Quote on Video qulity of CloneDVD:-
    "The quality of the DVD copy was great." Tossers!!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]On Initial Viewing My Backup Looked Terrible,
    But With One Eye Closed It Aint Half Bad!![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2004
  14. flip218

15. flip218

All of you who are having problems with DVDCloner2, again update your aspi layer to v4.71 or v4.60. The program is simple, produces backup quality that matches shrink w/decrypter. Only thing is it's $60 bucks for the one click option.

16. TMcCallie

TMcCallie Regular member

Flip218....

I have updated my aspi and this did not correct the problem either.

The fact is it just will not work for me. I tried everything that the tech support for DVDCloner 2 told me to do and would not work, period.

I used DVD Decrypter/DVD Shrink/Nero 6.0 and also Clone DVD 2. They work fine for me where DVD Cloner2 did not.

I also use DVDFab / DVD Cloner 2 and it works well also.

If you want to PM me, I will give you the low down on DVDFab.

I will hunt the site where it shows DVD Cloner2 to be #1.

Will put it on this forum when I FIND IT.

17. Nephilim

Thanks for the links fellas. What a couple of sorry ass sites. No wonder so many people get swindled into buying garbage. One of the sites listed "DVD Squeeze" which is on the DVD Decrypter website as being nothing more than a collection of free tools that they charge for.

18. flip218

TMcCallie which aspi layer did you try? If you did v4.71 there is a aspicheck. In XP you only need 2 of the four. Peoples biggest problem in trying to update to aspi 4.71 on XP end up installing the layer for operating systems other than XP. Have you tried forceaspi? That has worked for some. Now if you did do 4.71 the way you install it is.

1) click start, then run
    2) browse, then click local disk c: (that's where most usually unzip the file to)
    3) click adaptec, then aspi, then install, then ok

It should look as follows:
    C:\adaptec\aspi\install.bat

4) then you need to add xp32
    C:\adaptec\aspi\install.bat xp32

5) then click ok.

to see if you've installed it correctly:
    click my computer --> c drive --> adaptec folder --> aspi --> then click aspichk.

If you've done it right only these two will say 4.71.2
    ASPI32.SYS & WNASPI32.DLL

Then shut down and reboot.

19. sbajwa

sbajwa Member

TMcCallie
    Today I got full refund from DVD ClonerII. Hopfully you will also get refund.Unfortunately I was unable to see any positive thing about DVD ClonnerII- Deadly slow, always failure after long reading time.I also followed every direction given by their support team, even HD option and bought Nero (as according to support team, it was required.
    I think Shrink/Decrypter-free, is the best choice.

20. forkndave

forkndave Member

I notice that the web site that rates DVD Cloner 2 #1 has DVD Wizard Pro as #5. That isn't even a burning program. It is just guides and links to where you can get burning software. They don't give refunds either. They say that they will give a refund only if their software won't run on your computer. Since their software is essentially just text, there's not much chance of that.