1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Cloner II DVDs stop at 44min?

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by Jackass!!, Dec 29, 2004.

1. zapper

zapper Guest

Thanks, Pete will follow your advice and if you don't mind will keep you posted. ( On my Luck )

Zapper

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Heh, Heh - you had better keep us posted or we'll Hunt you down like a Dog . . . Lol

Peace Good Guy,

3. Rockslide

Rockslide Member

Hey guys...

Just came across your board and read the passages. So DVD-CLONERII isn't the way to go huh? Wish I'd known that BEFORE buying the product. Oh well - live and learn.

So ... the quesiton to you all: What software do you recommend in backing up your DVD's. It needs to get around the encryption issue, and it needs to be simple. Please gurus, let us know your answer and reasons. I've been using DVD-CLONERII and have been able to backup all my encrypted movies (so far ... knock on wood!). As for quality - I guess I'd need an HDTV to see the bad quality. Maybe next year if I get a raise in pay. :)

Thank you ladies and gents - keep up the great postings.

Mark

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Try the guides in my sig.

No Knowledge OR $$$$ required to achieve quality backups PLUS the ability to keep some stuff and get rid of others, editing at it's easest.

Have fun . . . .

Ciao,

5. OmegaLA

OmegaLA Member

After playing unsuccessfully for days with 1Click DVD Copy software, I got DVD Clone II so when I made my first copy, I was really happy to se that my TDK DVD-R plays ok … but I didn’t watch the movie, assuming is all there … % disks later I noticed that I’ve got the same problem like the original poster:

I've experienced the same problem with DVD Cloner II using Sony DVD-RW disc; As the original poster described, the movie stops on 44th min. Prior to that, I used TDK DVD-R disc and on 3 disks, movie stops playing on 61st min. I wanted to keep all extras so I thought it might be because of that but then on 3rd one I got nothing.. it doesn’t play or it plays black … you chose the option … on the 5th TDK DVD-R disc, the screen goes black after seconds of initial picture so again what I’ve got is frustrating NADA... Excuse my broken English but in my conclusion, DVD Cloner II SUCKS and I do not understand why this is not sad in plain English here so anybody willing to waist ton of time to save few bucks can understand that?  !

To be more specific, the part I couldn’t quiet understands is:

1) How the hell manufacturer stays in business selling dysfunctional product? Don’t people complain in forums making others aware not to buy that peace of Crop? BTW, I got cracked version of the emule…
    2) Unless there is a secret about what DVD discs should be used ( and I think disc should not be the issue when it comes to recorded length - if we disregard the quality that might defer on cheaper disks) , I do not understand why the first poster’s comments about stoppage on 44th minute were almost ignored when this appear to be the common problem with this program?
    I am new to DVD backing deal but if you know the trick, providing one exists relative to what DVD disks should be used with this softy so it can copy entire movie, why don’t you say that so no one waists the time?
    Or just say, I tried many programs and what I found works best is this one: (type here the name of program that works) I would appreciate and probably other newbie as well!
    3) To make this DVD Cloner II issue even dumber, after DVD Cloner II made a backup on my hard disk.. you know how it creates the folder that later removes it automatically of the HD when the burning is done, I checked up the size of the folder and the same was 4.2 gig, making me believe it should fit on D3 disk. Why it didn’t I don’t understand when this is less then the size of DVD – R disk… Can someone comment on that please?

While I am hoping that my comments helps those who didn’t try DVD Cloner II, I would appreciate if someone can clarify what programs works so we don’t waist more time and disks … it brakes my hurt when I have to throw the nice and shiny one in the trash .. you know the filling… I mean, if you used DVD Cloner II …crop… and again I apologize for using the profane language that is commonly not suitable for kids under 5

6. OmegaLA

OmegaLA Member

ScubaPete,

In earlier post above you sad:

“There are much, much better programs than Cloner. Ones that make a higher quality backup and some of them are FREE.”

I do respect your opinion and would appreciate if you can post the name of the Free program that you know works and where from
    could be downloaded ? Also, I would like to hear your opinion on TDK DVD-R disks relative to the ability to preserve the quality of the original movie.

From what I understood, this are the software you recommend:

3. DVD-9 to DVD-5
    A D9 (8GB) DVD movie can be copied to one regular D5 DVD+R/RW DVD-R/RW (4.7GB).

5.Perfect 1:1 DVD copy
    Copy DVD movies without distortion. Ripper included.

If you got to chose one, which one should it be and where from could be downloaded?

Thanks in advance !

PS

Giving the high cost of D9 disks, I don’t quiet get it, how can you justify using it for backup when you can often find great quality original
    movies on ebay for less the $10 bucks? Does anyone consider the value of time and movie rental cost invested in making backup works?

7. Rockslide

Rockslide Member

Hello again...

As I posted previously, I've been using DVD Cloner II for a few months now and I have had zero problems. So has my father.

As for the folks that are having issues - how old are your systems and what Windows version are you running? There are lots of variables to consider (dvd burner, current version of firmwares, etc) so I'm not so certain that blaming it on the software is the answer. Yes, I totally understand that most gurus conisder Cloner II as "junk", and compared to other DVD burning software I'm sure it is (I can't speak from experience as I've only used Cloner II). All I know is that Cloner II works fine for me.

My suggestion: Find someone with a PC that has a dvd burner in it - install the Cloner II software there and see if you get the same negative results. If you don't then it's a PC issue. If you do then maybe the DVD Cloner II company sent you a faulty version of their software.

Or better yet - listen to the gurus and download the free stuff that runs circles around Cloner II.

~RockSlide~

8. OmegaLA

OmegaLA Member

OK, what hardware are you using? I just built a machine using Asus MB, 1gig RAM, 3.0Mhz P4 procesor, Win XP Profesional SP2... Sony DVD RW DW-D26A (supports dula layer) and DVD Cloner II v.2.35 ... and I do have the 44min problem described buy the original poster and 61min problem described by me above. If somebody can tell me why is that happening, I would apreshiate it.

9. OmegaLA

OmegaLA Member

My concern is, if DVD ClonerII = DVD Shrink then why would the Shrink work when/where the ClonerII doesn't? As I described above, folder created by Cloner is bellow 4.3 Gig but the burned product locks on 44th or 61st min like the burned movie is not the "shrinked" one dumped by the cloner...can someone make a sence out of that?

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi OmegaLA, welcome to aD,

First off, Proggys like 1-clickDVD Copy and ClonerII are, in fact, poor quality copy software BUT because you only have to click 1 button, pple continue to buy them. Also, most of our younger members don't research the products they buy. To prove my point, they buy, by the tons, DVD XCopy. A proggy that has been out of business for a year and 1/2. It hasn't been worked on for almost 2 full years, yet these kids come here, looking for updates - updates from a company that no longer exists. The program doesn't work as it once did because it cannot rip today's DVD's. The encryptions weren't even invented when the company closed YET they spend $149.99 (the original price of the program when the company existed), $149.99 for a proggy that has seen it's day, years ago.

We have free proggys that you might try, DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink (guides in my sig) OR you might wish to try AnyDVD (an excellent ripper with a 21-day free trial) and CloneDVD2. A fast, easy proggy with a fairly good encoder, a fair amount of control, should wish to edit your backups and, a quality copy when you're finished.

AnyDVD ~
    http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

CloneDVD2 ~
    http://www.elby.ch/en/products/clone_dvd/download.html

The next thing to speak to is, the question of media AND DVD settings

I recommend setting your DVD size to "Custom" and 4360MB so that you don't burn to the very edge of the disc where the dye is sometimes uneven OR in the case of poor media like Memorex, it may not be there at all. Also, though today's discs advertise burning at 12X or 16X speeds over 8X speed is only good for Data burning. Burning DVD's should be kept to 4X, if using "top of the line" discs like Taiyo Yudens OR Verbatim DataLife PLUS, then 6X can be used without any problems at all. Pple who burn at 8X and faster run the risk of coasters OR getting the same problems that you have complained about.

SO, before you totally trash the programs you're using, dial the DVD Target size back and slow down your burn and you may solve your problems.

If you wish a good quality copy, something that will lQQk great on liquid crystal, Plasma OR HDD TV then try AnyDVD and CloneDVD2. That proggy has a far superior encoder than 1-clickDVD Copy OR ClonerII. Remember, quality takes time SO you will get a better quality with Decrypter and Shrink than even CloneDVD2 BUT speaking of those 2., it would be close.

The folder you speak of, is the one generated for burning and, therefore is already compressed. The answer is, YES, you could use a burning proggy like Nero Burning ROM or CopyToDVD and burn it directly to disc IF the folder is, in fact, fine.

BTW
    , someone mentioned that your problem could be a bad program copy. Impossible ! The program isn't a cake that might need more baking or has baked too long, it is written code, it doesn't change from one copy to another. The problems there for can be the following, Too fast a burn, burning to the outside of the media, poor media, a DVD size that some cheaper 1-click wonders cannot handle OR a PC that either has too little resources OR has been compromised (someone has been using the PC while it was working on your backup project). Many pple don't understand that encoding and burning DVD Video is the most processor intensive thing there is ~ Too many think this is like burning CD's ~ NO, not even remotely close. DVD Video needs a lot of resources. I recommend 512MB of RAM or better and even then, allow the PC do its job. For pple running UNDER that amount od RAM, I recommend going into msconfig and in the Startup tab, click "Disable all" then "Apply", OK, OK again and restart to allow the changes to take place.

Go through these suggestions and implement them all THEN sea if your problems end. IF not, come back and we'll add to the list.

Cheers,

Pete

11. Rockslide

Rockslide Member

And there ya have it! Try Scuba-Pete's suggestion and use "the good proggy's" (progyy?... programs).

Good luck!

(Thanks for calling me a kid Pete! Makes me feel young again...)
    -MM-