1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Collection Software

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Helfire, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Helfire

Helfire Member

Hey guys,

Does anyone know of a real good program for making kind of a database of a DVD collection?

One that is:

Free
    Can download the DVD info from the net etc.

Thanx!!!

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

3. chriscj42

chriscj42 Member

This is a pretty good on aswell. It has editable database regions. Effectively you can create places to hold the cover, rating, year, plot summary and so... Good program if you don't mind spending a little money. http://www.filemaker.com/products/fmd/

Have a nice day.

4. swervin

swervin Regular member

Intervocative's DVD Profiler is top notch IMO. I'd be hard pressed to do without it now.

Mike

5. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

I 2nd SWERVIN's comment! DVD Profiler is an awesome and easy program! It's on the SOFTWARE tab on this site.

6. Nephilim

I didn't realize we had it listed :p

7. beltline

beltline Regular member

For those of you using dvd profiler, are you using the free version or the paid version? What's the difference. I was thinking of trying the free version and seeing if I liked it before buying it. But if the free version didn't have key features, I didn't want to make a decesion on just the free version.

8. smackfrog

smackfrog Member

i've never heard of the intervocative one but i use movietrack and it works well.

9. JVC

JVC Active member

I, personally, like Guzzlefish better than Profiler. No software to download and store on your pc. They can be a little slow to get newest movie's artwok up on the site. Can also do music and games. Check it out at:
    http://www.guzzlefish.com

10. BullyDog

BullyDog Member

11. bill1996

bill1996 Member

Intervocative's DVD Profiler is top notch I'd be hard pressed to do without it now. It keeps track of all your software easily and effective. You can send your link to friends and family to view your collection.

example:
    http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/bill1996

12. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

Hey all -

DVD Profiler from Intervocative is awesome. I have used it for over two years. The custom reports you can create (or download if you're not so creative) are great. I have Coffee Table books that show off my collection and let others figure out which slot on my DVD Jukebox the movie is in. They simply turn the dial to that number and then push in the dial to play the movie. I also have simple reports that list the movie name and it's slot number only (this is the one I use).

I have another copy of DVD Profiler that I use for my kids. This one is integrated with Movies! from Panther Studios. Movies! imports the Profiler database and then allows you to view your collection by the cover art, get details on the movie, choose a movie to play, then sends the signals to the jukebox (via an interface that plugs into the back of the player, or thru an IR emitter). My kids have complete control of their movies.

Get the "paid for" version for the high-res cover art if you will be running any reports. The one time fee is nothing if you consider all you're getting from this software.

13. webhedreg

webhedreg Guest

I have found this software better than Profiler, as Profiler caused my PC to slow down. For some reason it was always scanning the DVDs even after the program was shut down.
    http://www.collectorz.com/movie/download.php it will give full function, but trial is limited to 50 titles.

14. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

Interesting problem. Are you sure it was Profiler? I thought there were other programs like B's Clip that caused those problems. Fortunately I have not encountered that on my system.

I need to stick with Profiler because of it's integration with Movies! software that controls my 400 DVD Jukebox. You can export an xml with Collectorz, but I'm assuming it would be a different set of data that wouldn't work with Movies!.

Now that I see their website, I realize I have been there before. Seems like a steep price when you can get Profiler for free. It sure is nice to have choices though!

15. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@webhedreg

I use Movie collectorz as well and have tried other prograsm but this 1 was the best in my opinion I also have the Game Collectorz version to list my PS2, GameCube and Xbox games. Yes it has a limit to 50 on the trial version but its easy to get around that.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
  16. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

Bill1996.... that's some collection....... mine is in my signature...... I only have 581!!

17. webhedreg

webhedreg Guest

Even after I removed the software, the problem persisted. I ended up doing a format and reload on the PC. I then reloaded the profiler software, and bang I was back where it was before. Shrink etc... was taking about an hour to encode a DVD and Nero was locking up. I know other peope that use it with no problem, but could not get an answerto why this may be happening, so moved to something else. I currently have 714 films or series in my collection. Larrylje I know what you mean:)

18. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

I use one copy of Profiler to manage my kids 200 DVD Jukebox (full). My second version manages my 400 DVD Jukebox (full) plus about 500 more DVDs that are filed away. I have over 1,000 DVDs, but that number is so large because of the many TV Series I own.

It sucks that Sony stopped adding the Control S input on the back of their normal DVD Jukeboxes. Some software and Movie servers (like Escient) only support units with Control S. That means forking out big bucks for the Sony 777ES model. I want a rich man's control of my theater on an average Joe's income!

Do any of you use a PC to control your collections (play movies)? If so, what do you use?

19. _Hector

_Hector Member

I'm writing a freeware collection manager which is in fact much more than just a collection manager. I'd really like to hear what you guyz would have to say about this new concept.
    A public beta preview can already be downloaded from my site.

20. Nephilim

Interesting. I may have to give it a spin :)