1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Combatibility

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Terrabyte, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Terrabyte

Terrabyte Member

I have read allot of forums and tried to wrap my head around this. I sell a DVD instructional video series. For the most part it goes ok. But my problem has been some freezing on some of my customers computers and or DVD players. Or they can not get them to work all together. They send them back to me and they work fine on my DVD Player and or my computer.
    I use dvio to capture from my camera and then I use Windows movie maker for my Edit and then I use Nero (totally up to date) to create chapters / Menu and Burn. I then create a image from my first burn and then copy from that image keeping my first burn as a Master copy just in case.
    I was using a good dvd-r with Labels. Now I have switched to the Tayo DVD-R and got the Epson r200 for printing on them incase it was my labels messing things up. I have slowed my burning from 8x to 4x and verify every burn.
    My question is, Is there anything else I can do to help ensure compatibility for my customers. How do the DVD’s from like Blockbuster ensure that their dvd’s will play.
    Thanks in advance

2. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

3. Terrabyte

Terrabyte Member

Is it the fact that there is a audio-ts folder that makes them more compatible or is there more to it than that using this method

4. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Commercial movie dvd's are stamped, not burned.

Other than the lables, I cannot think of what else the problem could be. And you seem to have done what you can about that. When you say you've verified the burns, how are you doing that, if I may ask?

I'm beginning to think that dvd players are a bit like floppy disks in having quirks that make media that run fine in one device not work in another. With floppy disks, it is often a problem with "head alignment." I suppose there is something comparable in the mechanics of dvd players that might make them sensitive to the vagaries of consumer burned dvds.

5. Terrabyte

Terrabyte Member

Sorry I did not respond sooner I have been out of town. I am verifying using nero ofter the burn.

6. Terrabyte

Terrabyte Member

I used dvd shrink to great the video-ts folder. Then I went to nero burning rom and used the udf/iso deal. When I went to transfer the contents of the video ts folder to the new video_ts folder that I created I got a compilation error saying that this will not be a compatible dvd. Forget the exact words. It gave me the option to ignore and I did so. I finished with the directions in the link above. The DVD again plays fine except in nero show time. But windows media player or on my stand alone tv dvd player it works fine. Any idea why I got this compilation error.
    Thanks in advance

7. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

im not too sure if the booktype setting or bitset makes much of a difference now a days with newer dvd players , but with older dvd players it helped to have it set to dvdrom to improve compatibility with dvd players . if the people are using players older than 2 years old this may be the problem . if you do a google search on booktype settings or bitsettings you should get a boat load of info on this subject . hope this helps

8. harpert

harpert Member

I'm having a problem with chapters not playing back properly as well on Sylvania, Sony and possibly other DVD players. I have received reports of freezing and skipping. A potential client has a Sylvania and unfortunately a demo video she received from a competitor played back fine. The DVD plays back fine on Panasonic and Zenith players. I use DVD-Lab and was told by Oscar from MediaChance that the problem might go away using the Frame Indexing option. Any ideas? Thanks.

Tom H.

9. Terrabyte

Terrabyte Member

Harpert,
    Just out of curiosity is there a audio_ts folder on your DVD's?
    I am starting to think that this can be one of my problems the fact that there is no audio_ts Folder
    Also do you use labels or are you printing on them with a printer?
    And what kind of Media are you using?
    How fast are you burning your DVD's?

10. harpert

harpert Member

Terrabyte,

Yes, I always have an audio_ts directory. I am no longer using labels - using an Epson R200 printer now - problems still occur. I have used Ritek DVD+Rs booktyped as DVD-ROMs and Fuji DVD-Rs - same problem. I have been burning at 4x and am considering trying at 1x. I am using DVD-Lab and Nero Express on a Lite-On DVD burner. Also, am using TMPGenc. Thanks for interest.

Tom H.

11. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Why would you do that?
    DVDLab creates a perfectly compatible structure.
    Choose DVD Video in Nero, and test again.
    You should have no trouble.
    If you want to try chapter indexing, it's a tick box on DVDLab's compilation screen (Project, Compile DVD).
    p.s. I also use DVDLab (after tmpgenc) and burn with Nero on an older Lite-on (451s@832s). Never had any problem with +R or -R

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  12. harpert

harpert Member

The DVDs I produce and play on my Panasonic have no problems. I am having chapter problems on others' DVD players such as Sonys and Sylvania's when I use either DVD-Lab or Nero Express. To do Frame Indexing, should I set the chapters normally (with the red tick showing) and then go to Project, Compile DVD and then do Frame indexing on that file?

Tom H.

13. harpert

harpert Member

I also use TMPGenc with a bitrate setting of 4 (used to be 6). As I mentioned before, I have no problems playing back chapters on my Panasonic, but having no luck with Sylvanias and Sonys for now - maybe others too. I will have to go to the local Best Buy and try out a frame indexed DVD on Sylvania and DVD players.

Tom H.

14. harpert

harpert Member

I found this link on the web, http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/dvd-lab.htm. I assume I should follow it to try and correct the chapter problems I have experienced. My main beef with the DVD-Lab developer is that he did not mention anything about Frame Indexing in the Quick Tutorial that came with the software or the version I found on his website. I am getting tired of re-authoring to be quite honest and am afraid I could be losing wedding video clients after all the hard work and effort I put into editing.

Tom H.

15. Terrabyte

Terrabyte Member

What about Sonic DVD professional editon. Does anyone know anything about that. Do the tend to be more compatible. IF so it would definatly be worth the few hundred dollars to eliviate some of the combatibility problems.
    Also will Sonic compress the quality so I can put more video on one dvd. The sonic that I have now will not do that.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  16. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

As I mentioned in my post on that other BBS, it's not DVDLab.
    No, Sonic is not going to give you any better results.
    No, Sonic does not compress video to put 2 on one disk. You're going to need Shrink with an authoring program like DVDLab.

17. fpny

fpny Guest

How do I change the booktype under nero from dvd+r to dvd-rom? Any body? Thanks in advance. I am using a Sony dru-510a burner. I have an older Sony dvd player that will not play any recordable media, like dvd-r, dvd+r, dvd-rw or dvd+rw etc. It will only play commerical dvd movies. I am hoping by changing the recordable media to dvd-rom. My old Sony dvd player will be able to read them. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2005
  18. harpert

harpert Member

I don't think your Sony drive will support booktyping/bitsetting. The only drives I know that support that are Lite-Ons, BenQ, NEC and some others (learn about other drives in the main forum by doing a search). I don't think the latest version (6.0) of Nero supports booktyping/bitsetting does, but an earlier version might. You can download Omnipatcher (look for the info in the main forum) and a link to download the software for free. You will have to purchase another drive that supports booktyping/bitseeint.

Tom H.

19. harpert

harpert Member

I meant to type booktyping/bitsetting...

20. DSYF3R

DSYF3R Regular member

I also produce wedding DVD's, there is no ultimate way to guarantee compatability with all players. The way I find to be the most compatable is using Verbatim printable DVD-R discs burnt at 4x (gives less errors than 1x or 2x) burnt with nero as a DVD-Video format.

I have had 98% success rate this way. I have had to burn one customers disc in DVD+R format due to his player prefering that format.

If you can find out the name and model of your clients DVD player before burning you can check it's compatability here: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDnameid=1778&Search=Search&#comments

ps: the other way I was thinking of doing it was to put my price up by $70, and give every customer a free DVD player, that way you can find one that is guarenteed to be compatible.