1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Compression Compatability With "Regular" DVD Players

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Pariah, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Pariah

Pariah Regular member

If I backup a DVD to a DVD+R with compression on my computer, will the copy play on a regular DVD player (ie one made for your tv not one made for your computer). I copied Friends Season 3 Disc 1 to a DVD+R with about 30% compression (6.8 gig to 4.7). It plays just fine on my Apex DVD player, but I read somewhere (probably on another afterdawn thread) that Apex is just a computer DVD player packed in a regular DVD player shell. Can most DVD players play DVDs that were compressed on a computer DVD drive? or does it have to be uncompressed to play on a regular DVD player? Also, so I don't look foolish - what is the proper lingo for refering to a DVD player for your tv vice one for your computer (I know CD recorders are differentiated as audio versus computer CD recorders).

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Most modern players are becoming more like DVD ROM's since the manufacturers have realised that this is the easiest method of creating a DVD player that will play all discs. A company created DVS Loader. If your player has one of these, then it is pretty good for any type of format!

3. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

4. Pariah

Pariah Regular member

Thanks for the compatability link. Still a bit cloudy as some people on the link claim +R worked on System A, while others say it didn't.

5. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Read their comments. If people said "yes" to DVD+R with no comments, then be concerned. If they said "yes" and also added that they used Nero to burn DVD's then it's likely OK. Keep in mind some people have no idea that there are recordable DVD's out there, so they think they are clicking on "yes" saying that store bought DVD's work.