1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd copy pixelated

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by bjj, Apr 7, 2005.

1. bjj

bjj Member

i have been backing up movies for a while now and everything was going great perfect copies wether i ripped them or downloaded them and converted them to dvd but for some reason when i try to write any type of dvd the end product jumps and pixelates alot its as though the video and audio are out of sink and the dvd player is trying to compensate but am not sure is my burner in need of replacing its 9 months old when i copy pc games they come out fine even the new securom 5 some body please help either post or e-mail me on brett3007@yahoo.com thanks.

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Pixelation happens most likely when you compress it too much. It stands out most when you have fast moving scenes or bright, rich colors. The audio OOS issue happens when you're authoring a DVD. I doubt it would happen to a commercial DVD from ripping. Most likely, the video editing software you're using (to get from AVI to DVD) is buggy or gets mixed up in a scene that jumps.

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@bjj - first of all [bold]edit out your email address[/bold] before the mods do it for you :)
    in addition to Dogbomb's reply, this jumping could be due to crappy media or too high a burn speed etc. let us know your media, burn speed, error log etc

4. bjj

bjj Member

i have not compressed any thing the last 10 or so films i have done have been around the 4.2gb mark the films have not been d/loaded in avi they have been ripped using the latest dvd decrypter i have even burned films from my hdd which i know for a fact i have burned them before onto the same make of disk thats why i think my drive might be on the way out but is it possible that the only symptoms i get is that it wont burn dvd file structures properly but everything else is ok,could you please tell me which drive you would buy up to about £110,is plextor the best for that price range i dont want to buy a cheep one again (could i take my drive back to the shop i think it might have had a 12 month warranty but am not sure i bought every thing to make my pc at the same time i have a 3000xp cpu 160gb ide hdd dual dvd drive 768mb ram 2700mhz 550w psu fx5200 128mb nvidia graphics card i have tried burning to dvdrw different make and still the same result the thing thats bugging me is it is so eratic i done open water yesterday and it was ok for about 45mins and then it started pausing and 3mins later it stopped all together that was ripped of a rental dvd,any more in put would be greatly appreciated thaks for taking the time to help a friend in need.

5. bjj

bjj Member

oh yea the other possibility is i have installed alcohol 120% which emulates drives and rips games and also blindwrite 5 which rips games could this be causing some kind of conflicts????please advise.thanks.

6. creaky

@bjj - i'll copy/paste what i said before! - first of all edit out your email address before the mods do it for you :)
    in addition to Dogbomb's reply, this jumping could be due to crappy media or too high a burn speed etc. let us know your media, burn speed, error log etc

this is a common problem, the posters who ask these questions usually say 'media is fine, has worked before' but once the logs start being posted, it's usually iffy media. post you burn error(s) and your media info. try downloading (free) dvdinfopro and running a media identification on one of the burnt discs. post the media code it shows. If you use Nero all the better , all the info will be in the log; not sure about alcohol logs, i've used it a few times but it's never bombed so haven't had to look at logs, but i'm sure i could understand it if you posted it..

7. bjj

bjj Member

i dont understand about the e mail the funny thing is that nero burns the dvds fine so there is no error log i have scanned the burned disks with vsoinspector and all is well if i look at the files on my pc it is identicle as the original i will d/load dvd info pro and post the results cheers for taking the time to help.

8. creaky

its just that you first post above has an email address, it'll get edited by the mods so i'd do it first. as for burns, if it's skippping /freezing that most ppl post about, those burns generally work fine, it can just result in a jumpy film.

9. bjj

bjj Member

thanks for the heads up on the email i didnt realise cheersdo you think there might be somthing up with my drive then i scanned a gammy disk with dvdinfopro on the pie and piff test the graf keeps going up and up is that normal and i did the test media for cic read errors and it didnt find any every thing says the dvds should work fine but they dont i tried them on 2 stand alone dvd players not work properly and half of them dont even work on my pc properly 1 or 2 even say wrong disk in the dvd player.any thing else you could add would be greatly appreciated.cheers.

10. bjj

bjj Member

dvd infopr Media Information
    Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
    Media code/Manufacturer ID SKC Co.,Ltd.
    Format Type UDF 1.02
    Volume Name MY_DISC
    Application id
    Implementation id AHEAD Nero
    Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 4/ 5/2005 22:03:32
    Format Capacity 4.20GB(4.51GB)
    Book Type DVD-R
    Media Type DVD-R
    Manufacturer Rated Speed Unknown
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
    Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
    2x Speed OPC beta 0B
    2x Speed OPC power 14
    2x Write Strategy field 1 11 87 78 80
    2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00
    4x Speed OPC beta 07
    4x Speed OPC power 1C
    4x Write Strategy field 1 0D 10 0A 0B
    4x Write Strategy field 2 97 07 0F 0B
    4x Write Strategy field 3 C0 00 00 00
    4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 06
    4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 1C
    4x Write Strategy field 4 13 A8 88 65
    4x Write Strategy field 5 98 9A 88 80 00 00
    4x Write Strategy field 6 00 00 D0 00 00
    Data area starting sector 30000h
    Data area end sector 21919Fh
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    Track Density 0.74um/track
    Number of Layers 1

Complete Media Code
    00000000 00 6C 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 88 0D 13 .l...@....R.....
    00000010 66 78 80 00 03 53 4B 43 20 43 6F 00 04 2E 2C 4C fx...SKC Co...,L
    00000020 74 64 2E 00 05 88 80 00 00 00 01 00 06 0B 14 11 td..............

11. creaky

i'm sure some of the geeks around here will explain the pif stuff etc, i'm just interested in the media code; if you're using +r discs you may just needd to 'book type' them

12. creaky

aha, psychic!. hang on, looking...

13. bjj

bjj Member

the disks i use are cheep but they have worked great for ages and i have tried dvdrw diff make and the same result.

14. creaky

15. bjj

bjj Member

i am really chuffed that you can take this much time to help me out if you think my drive needs changing from the info you got then can you recommend one for around£110. if its the media or the software then all the better i think i will try some oither disks to triple check i only have dvd+r thats a diff make will that be ok as i have only used dvd-r for dvd duplication.

16. creaky

@bjj - i only use DVD-R myself, but horses for courses.... i would honestly buy some better media. just one yub or pack of decent media, cheaply, then see ehat results, make sure to look up your drive for recommended media, theres a few good ones whoch i won't quote. You look it up, see what you think then post back. I'm watching Elektra (she's niiice!) then i'll look at ya reply!! :)

17. bjj

bjj Member

cheers will do ps electra is HOT ill buy some new ones tomorrow i will burn them tomorrow as well then let you know the results thanks again for the help you are a star see you tomorrow ,you rock.

18. creaky

thats ok, i got 'burnt' using iffy media for 100s of films, i just can't be arsed to reburn all those in one hit. Then i went good media (and 4x burning regardless of media, even tho my kit is fast, no multitasking during burn etc) and no more probs....

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  19. bjj

bjj Member

i leave my pc to do its thing when encoding and burning too and lately ive been burning at 4 speed i'm going to try this dvd+r at 2 speed and we'll see then tomorrow is the real test thanks again if theres any thing i can help you with please ask.bye bud