1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD copying w/o encoding

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dvdfiend, Jan 29, 2003.

1. dvdfiend

dvdfiend Member

Hey everybody! This is my first post but I've been following this forum for a while now. You guys are great, awesome resource.

I have a couple questions that I can't seem to find answers for.

1. Is there another alternative to DVD X Copy that does NOT encode video. My understanding is that DVD X Copy doesn't re-encode. I don't like to use DVD X Copy because I want the comfort in knowing that I could copy a copied movie if I wanted to.

2. Can I use simple "DVD Copy" w/ Nero to copy an DVD X Copy movie?

3. Does DVDDecrypter re-encode?

Thanks,
    DVD Fiend.

2. dvmaestro

dvmaestro Member

if you are wanting to fit a movie that is over 120 mins. majority of the time you have to re-transcode. first off i wouldnt' touch dvdxcopy. i bought it and absolutley hated it. but i guess that's my opinion :) you can't just take a dvd in Nero and record it. dvd has an encryption algorithm and you have to use special software to decrypt it and strip the dvd to your HDD. dvd decrypter does not re-transcode, it decrypts and copies the dvd to your HDD. -tm

3. dvdfiend

dvdfiend Member

Thanks Maestro.

Just out of curiousity, why wouldn't you use XCopy? (besides the watermark and not being able copy copies). My experience so far with it (bourne identity and minority report) has been fine. I didn't want to go through the hassle of transcoding just to split the discs and I didn't want to loss any quality.

Just as an FYI for anyone else who was wondering - you can copy an XCopy burned disc with Nero. I used XCopy to copy the movie onto a DVD-RW and then copied that to a DVD-R with Nero. No problems.

One last question, I read the guide about DVD-5 w/ DVDDecrypter ( http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/small_dvd_2_dvdr.cfm )

My understanding is that this method doesn't transcode / re-encode (sorry if I got the terms mixed up). Is that right?

Also, can DVDDecrypter split to two disc similar to XCopy?

Thanks a bunch

4. dvmaestro

dvmaestro Member

If you have a DVD that will fit onto one dvd-r then you can create and iso image in dvddecrypter and burn that image in dvddecrypter. and sorry to say it can't burn to two separate discs. only if you had two separate iso files. -tm

5. mikeh4692

mikeh4692 Member

try out the new software called dvd2one , it will put your movie onto a single disc and re-encode it in about 30 mins ( no joke ) , it costs $42

6. dvdfiend

dvdfiend Member

ya, but what kind of quality loss are we talking about?

7. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

dvdfiend,

Most DVD movies these days are to big to fit on a DVD-r disc, so you are faced with a choice :-

1 Split to 2 discs

or

2 re encode

Choice 1 will give you 100% quality, but split over 2 discs.

Choice 2 will give you reduced quality, but keep to 1 disc.

Now qualitry is in the eye of the beholder. I have uised Rempeg2 and been very impressed with the quality, to the extent that I can't spot the difference between the original and the backup. BUT, on some movies there have been unacceptable problems. Using CCE I have not had a problem. Quality has been very acceptable every time.

You pay you're money, you takes your choice.

HomerJ

8. dvdfiend

dvdfiend Member

Thanks Guys,
    I really hoping a new package will come out that will be worth the $$$, until then the struggle continues...

9. mikeh4692

mikeh4692 Member

I just done spirit for my kids and the quality from dvd2one is great well worth the cost , and 12x as fast as rempeg and 4x as fast as CCE , no joke , if you want a quick option and no head aches try this out http://www.dvd2one.com