1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Copying

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by fseymour, Nov 11, 2004.

1. fseymour

fseymour Member

To All,

I'm a newbie and I'm very confused! I have the following software on my machine and still have trouble copying a DVD;
    Sonic 'My DVD'
    InterVideoWin DVD4
    NERO StartSmart
    1ClickDVDCopy
    DVDXCopyXPress & DVD43
    Soo far, I have been unable to get anywhere with 1Click, and NERO because of protectioin devices on the DVDs I wish to copy/back-up. I can create a back-up DVD using XPress; but it will only play on my computer. I've tried to play the back-up DVD in 2 different DVD players and it will not play. All I wish to do is make copies of certain DVDs for my own use. Can anyone help me? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Frank Seymour

2. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

Try AnyDVD, great software that works in the background. It takes off css protection the moment you insert your dvd into the drive. It cost about $40 bucks but its well worth the money and it will solve problems when backing up your personal collections. Just click the software tab at the top of this homepage and look under dvd tools to download it. Hope this helps, good luck, strone

3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

*moved to newbies*

4. hydef

hydef Member

You need a Macrovision buster and a CSS(Content Scamble System) eliminator, I have the Dell notebook RecordNow version 7.1 LE and MyDVD version 5.3 LE from sonic.com, plus a few goodys to defeat the Macro up too the 4th version, Red Stripe CGMS in other words the kitchen sink. I record on Memorex DVD+R I print my own disc labels and outside cover front, spine, and back. Certain covers I use a EK sucess corner puncher for that 'retail' look. :)

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Watch yourself with that Memorex - 90% of their discs are made by CMC - CMC = Untrustworthy -

Iffin ya want a quality product try DVD2One OR DVD Shrink then burn with CopyToDVD for the fastest burn around :)

Pete

6. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

Strange that your xpress burns don't play in a dvd player. What players are you using and are they rated for dvd +or- burning. I have a player that won't play a burned disk (too old). Go with dvd shrink coupled with dvd decrypter for the burn. They work great on all my machines. Good media is a must. I use Maxell dvd-r 2x-4x yellowish tops and they work great. decrypter and shrink are free and you can get them at the top of the page under software.

A note to Scuba Pete:

Pete, I have a pile of Verbatim BRANDED disks,data life plus, and the media code is CMC. Nothing but junk. Freezing and skipping all over the place. I mention this because alot of people here stand by verbatim. I wish they would put the media code on the outside of the package before you buy. Just a warning to potential buyers.

7. speed999

speed999 Member

Can someone explain what this CMC is? I looked on my blank DVD's and I didn't see anything that said which I suppose is good but where would I normally find something like this?

8. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

bigwop,

I've heard of those Verbatims, they were are listed as "Amaray" discs - listed as such. Also made, Verbatim RW discs and Verbatim in the 25-Spindle pack - they were made by CMC, I was not aware that any ofthem were stamped as Verbatim DataLife PLUS - The DataLife PLUS stamp was saved for AZO and Metal AZO dye apps which CMC don't do - saying DataLife, they sound like "Bootlegs" did they say anything else ?

Enquiring ScubaPete's want to know - :)

Cheers,

Pete

Speed999,

When we discuss media, we're talking about the company who made the discs - CMC = CMC Magetics Corporation.
    Here's what we use to check media - http://www.mediamatch.de/medien.php

Cheers,

Pete

10. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

Pete,

you are right,my mistake, they are data Life, not plus. 25 pack spindle,blue label, 1x-2x. Got them at Sam's Club, owned by Wal-Mart here in the states. Prices have dropped on these from $29.00 to $19.00 per 25. I switched to Maxell 2x-4x 15 pack spindle,DVD-R and I have had no trouble with these on all my machines.

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey Buddy,

I know it sounds confusing BUT Maxell +R's are good, -R's are not - run them through DVD Identifier and see what you come out with -

Pete

12. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

Pete

The media ID's on the Maxell DVD-R'S is MXL RG02. I did have a pack of 15 that were TY followed by something else but I burned those and for the life of me I can't remember the disks that they are on. I have a Sanyo player,a sanyo dvd/vhs combo, a Phillips dvd/vhs combo that is rated +R, and an Audiobahn player for my van. Not a skip, freeze or pixelate among them yet.

13. GeoDude

GeoDude Guest

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Howdy there Geo, welcome aboard,

For you, my Friend, anything :)

Here's a guide and another link - I hope it helps, (it should -: )

I use "WorldLingo" and BableFish" to translate the German to English :)

If you don't have those, all you have to know is -

Down in the lower right-hand corner, under "Erweiterte Suche" you'll see "Offerer:" where you look for your disc's name and, under that "Hersteller:" which means Manufacturer. Select one OR the other to use.. To the right of those you'll see an arrow and the word, "Anzeigen" which means Next - Again, choose the disc's name OR the manufacturer and click "next". On the next page, you'll see a group of media, select which media you wish to check up on and click the arrow with the "search icon" on the right and that will supply you with a break-down of each disc, i.e.,Dye and Manufacturer, in the DataBase..

After all of that, enough will be in English so that you won't have that much trouble -

http://www.mediamatch.de/showdvdanbieter.php

Cheers,

Pete

Edited - Can't seem to get a decent link tonight - Use the guide that you have OR just use DVD Identifier -
    http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004