1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD copyright problem

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by titoyeure, Jun 26, 2007.

1. titoyeure

titoyeure Member

I recently bought a Panasonic DVD/VHS recorder to backup old DVD's and VHS that my 4 sons have accumulated over the years. I able to back up some of the older ones, but the newer DVD's will not allow me to copy since Copyright laws are so strict. I recieve a message that I am unable to copy copyrighted material. I am able to copy most DVD's to a VCR with no problems, but when I try to copy back to a DVD I get the same message as if I am copying from another DVD.. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

2. matt653

matt653 Member

alright mate are you trying to copy original video tapes to dvd

3. matt653

matt653 Member

if your just backing up dvds to dvd you would be better off using your computer and dvd shrink . i tried to convert some of my old video tapes onto dvd with a recorder a while back and couldnt get it to work properly i found out a lot of tapes are protected by somthing called macrovision that sends a signal to your recorder to tell it to stop recording

4. titoyeure

titoyeure Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I've heard of the Macrovision as well, but the tapes I'm trying to record from are blank VHS tapes that I purchased a while back to back up the DVD's, my kids were wearing the discs out. I didn't have a DVD burner at the time, I figured I could copy them onto a VHS tape and then copy them back to a DVD later.

I purchased a Panasonic VHS/DVD recorder to try and copy the tapes back to DVD's. At first most were working, most of the older movies like Toy Story, Lion King etc. The newer movies gave me the problem, I tried to copy from DVD to DVD and couldn't do it. I managed to copy from DVD to VHS, but then couldn't copy back to DVD. Confusing to me, but I think newer DVD's have encryption of some kind built in that can transfer to VHS tape but not to a DVD.

Sorry about the long reply, I'm just frustrated, I don't want to throw away old scratched up DVD's and VHS tapes.

Any suggestions

Thanks

5. titoyeure

titoyeure Member

Also, forgot to mention before. The only DVD burners I have are DVD Players/recorders. We currently don't have DVD burner on computers in the house. Bummer huh?

6. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

titoyeure

VHS tape is analog
    DVD disk is digital

I believe that a recent combo unit might allow a recording to a VHS even if CP protected. It would seem that you have done this. [I have not tried this myself]
    BUT not record to a DVD disk, from any source
    If you have an Older VHS only unit, or access to one, you might try playing one of the problem tape’s in it and than to your DVD recorder.

You would experience a loss of picture quality in Any DVD to VHS transfer but that may not bother you.
    The use of a PC requires equipment and software. There are sticky’s to this issue on this site and others