1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD cover printing at costco, walgreens, etc...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Jorge18, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Jorge18

Jorge18 Guest

How's it going guys?

I've tried printing my dvd covers at home using my R200, but I didn't like the results one bit. Most of them came out very bad (even using very high quality ones)

My question is, has anyone printed these covers at a major retailer? Is this allowed? or is there some sort of copywrite problems etc.?

Thanks in advance!

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Hi

1)I think it's allowed but I think it's not a real good idea.
    2) on the hdd files try microsoft digital image 9 to digitally enhance the dvd cover images.
    3)Unfortunately buy a better printer ( higher output resolution) for better results for printing at home

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  3. FFsp42

FFsp42 Regular member

@Jorge18

I second iluvendo on this one. Before you start labeling or continue labeling, whichever, you might want to research a little more about some issues other people have encountered. If you like, start here: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/552091
    Of course, the decision is yours. Just giving a heads up!

4. Jorge18

Jorge18 Guest

Sorry, I guess you guys misunderstood me. I'm talking about the covers (that go on the cases) like this one.. http://covers.box.sk/newsimg/dvdmov/max1163015641-frontback-cover.jpg

5. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Like I said:

"I think it's allowed, but I think it's not a real good idea"

6. Jorge18

Jorge18 Guest

Can you suggest a good printer for cover printing? or atleast, a better one then what I have now? I'm looking at the Epson R380.

7. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

As far as printers go inkjets give some of the highest resolution(ie detail) for the money, however they can be slow and eat up alot of ink. I prefer the laser systems from okidata ( I have a oki 5100 series). But cover printing eats up a lot of laser toner and from a set of 4 tioners, you may get only 500 prints (and genuine oki toner is fairly expensive) However, I refill my toner cartridges so I manage to keep costs down. Just google laser toner refills and you'll get some good prices. Also IMHO stay away from HP and Xerox printers as their toner is very pricy and their cartridges may sometimes not be refillable (but they give killer prints). So the choice is yours-- good shopping.

8. Jorge18

Jorge18 Guest

I actually found out it was the paper I was using. I used glossy photo paper, and it came out AWESOME!

9. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

High quality presentation type paper is cheaper than photo paper, has the same weight as 20 Lb. paper. I use Kodak Premium Inkjet Paper, CAT 181 8111 for high quality printing jobs. I've made DVD covers, but never for a Hollywood type movie, only local church and school type projects.

10. rmcgo

rmcgo Member