1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD crashes

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by joey78, May 3, 2005.

1. joey78

joey78 Member

I have used an entire pack of Edgetec 8X DVDs..they are rumored to be manufactured by Moser Baer.......i have written about 15 DVDs with no problem at 8X............suddenly yesterday one DVD crashed after 6 % of writing...the status of the DVD recorder said failed............so i tried another blank and it failed again after 6 %.....

After that i rebooted the machine and reinstalled Nero..........then i wrote another DVD but at 4x........i suspected that the speed could have been the reason for the crash adn so didnt want to take a chance.

Could this be a problem with the writer or the media ?

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

4x burn speed is about par for most members on our dvd backups.

6% into the writing leads to a media issue. You don't know the exact mfg code,but you can get them if you have dvd decrypter/nero-infotool/dvdidentifier/and my favorite-the free version of dvdinfopro.

It could be the media quality,or your burner doesn't like that specific brand of media. Trying another quality brand of media like maxell or the opposite format,if possible would be an easy way to find out if that media is the culprit.

Also go into your device manager and make sure your IDE channels-primary and secondary- are set to dma or Udma. Make sure they don't say PIO mode.If you get around 5 burn errors in a row,windows will revert those channel/s to pio mode for safety purposes.

Lower quality media has to be burned a lot slower that the higher quality.

Just a few things to check out that may help you out. Later