1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Decriptor / Nero Backup Problems

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dravidham, Feb 18, 2005.

1. dravidham

dravidham Member

Hi All,

I've been having major problems for some time with backups skipping when they are played back on stand alone machines. On a lot of different movies. Not every copy I make, but given the very high number that seem to skip, I don't think that it's media. I've tried several batches of Ritek G04 & G05's and also Verbatim Advanced AZO (all DVD-R's).

Having looked at many posts on this site, I have tried out a lot of suggestions such as ASPI, Un-installing and re-installing DVDD & Nero (reinstalling after using the clean tool). I've re-formated the HD, Defrag'd, Scanned for spyware/adware/viruses.

I use Nero 6.6.0.6 and also the latest DVD decriptor and of course, when needed, DVD Shrink.All settings are defaults.

As a last resort, working through the process of elimination, a new burner was installed under warranty yesterday. I've gone from a Sony DW-U18a to a 16X dual layer Sony DW-22A.

I tried out the new burner after completing yet another fresh install of DVDD & Nero and I made a sucessful backup of an .ISO first time round with DVD Decriptor using it's verify facility. The copy worked fine on all stand alone players. Then things just got much worse than my original problem...........

Having made a sucessful copy, skip free, just to make sure that all was well, I tried burning exactly the same .ISO again.Using DVD Decriptor when the burn compleates and the verification proccess is about to start, things just go wrong. Just as the Verification should start DVDD states that 'device is not ready/media not present'and the prog then needs to be closed down resulting in a coaster every time. This has happened four times in a row with brand new clean scratch free G04 and G05's.

By the way, I was burning at 2X.

Does anybody out there have any ideas what is happening here - I'm very close to giving up all together!!

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Wow, that's bad! So it worked, and then it doesn't.
    May I suggest:
    1) Use RWs for tests until all is well.
    2) Since you have AnyDVD, try burn with Nero, first to HD, then to RW
    3) Use Nero to test hardware, software, drive and disc.
    Good luck!

3. dravidham

dravidham Member

Hi scf_au,

Well I've tried about 15 different burns with Nero and AnyDVD over the weekend on this this stupid thing now. My new burner has serious issues with Ritek G04 & 05s and intermitant issues with the Verbatims (which are costing me just under £1.00 each). This drive is even worse than the old one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I get frequent coasters with the Riteks and this is when backing up various different movies, not just the same one. With the Verb's I dont get coasters, but I still get the skipping on playback using both my stand alone units - a Sony and an LG and an Xbox.

Did all the usual things, i.e. checking for Nero & DVD Decriptor for updates and uninstalling/re-installing both prog's. Setting the target space to 4400MB. I've also tried uninstalling the DVD drive and reinstalling it.

None of those things have made any difference.

Disk has been defrag'd yet again. Virus & Adware scans compleated without issues found. Used Norton, Spybot Search & Destroy and the latest AdAware SE.

Realy bad thing is, at least with the old burner that has been replaced by Mesh Coputers, there was slightly more success burning at 2x with the Riteks, after multiple attempts at the same burn. Only at 2x though.

With the new burner that they have given me, it won't even let me burn at less than 4x in Nero or DVD Decriptor.

Looks like I'm gonna be struggling with Mesh Tech Support for another couple of weeks, which I could well do without.......

I did try using the Nero Speed Test thing and got a graph of the disk quality of one of my disks, but I'm not quite sure what I am supposed to be looking for. How can I determine from the speed test stats between a good burn and a bad one, i.e. what is the margin between the two and how many 'jagged lines'are acceptable for a decent burn?

Cheers,

Dave.

4. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Did it work burning to HD? If yes, then probably media problem.

5. dravidham

dravidham Member

Well, I can rip onto HD just fine. Always have been able to. I have never backed up disk to disk or shall I say on the fly.

I avoid crap media at all costs and can't quite come to terms with the fact that both of these burners refuse to consistantly accept Verbatim or Ritek. I've also tried some sony -R's.

Just a bit confused as to why if I try to burn the very same .iso two or three times in a row, eventually one of the copies work (almost) without skipping on playback. This is regardless of media brand. Bit of an expensive way of doing it though....

I was thinking of retrieving my large collection of coasters from the bin and testing them all this evening. If I give Nero disk tesing utility a try (cant remember the exact name of of the prog, but there is a disk burn quality utility), how can I tell a good result from a bad result?

Dave.

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Try updating the Firmware to your DVD writer and see what happens. I can't seem to find that model number on sony's website though. Is that correct DW-22A?

7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

by all accounts it sounds like media? but you say its good media? seems odd?

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1944

SONY DVD RW DW-D22A - No Firmware Updates Available
    (Known Firmware: BYS1)
    Use LtnRPC to reset or disable the Region Counter. Click Disable and your drive will be region free!
    OEM Liteon SOHW-1633S
    RPC-2

http://dhc014.rpc1.org/LtnRPC/

go here read this!

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=33095&highlight=Sony+DW-U22A

and

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=32799&highlight=Sony+DW-U22A

interesting!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  8. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Interesting links.

9. dravidham

dravidham Member

Rotary,

Thanks for the links.

When I get home from work, I will try the firmware route and see if it clears things up.

Dave.

10. dravidham

dravidham Member

Sorry for the delay in posting back guys, I've not deserted the thread.I've been waiting for Mesh Computers to come back to me with a tweak that they had in mind. They take so long to respond.I have only just heard back from them this morning via email. Cant call them when I'm in front of the actual pc that I'm having problems with as the opening hours are 9.00-5.00 monday to Friday, and I get home at 6.30p.m.

I wanted to try their idea out first, purely because there will be warranty issues if I mess up the firmware install on a week old drive.

"Please try the following...

Click on Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager.

You will then be presented with a list that displays all the hardware items installed in your system.

Click the small plus next to where it says IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. This should then display three devices...

Primary IDE Channel
    Secondary IDE Channel
    And an IDE Controller. The name of this one may vary depending one which chipset you are using.

Right click the IDE Controller and select Remove. You maybe presented with a confirmation message where you will then click Yes. Once it is removed from the list, you will need to restart your system.

Once your system reboots wait a while and let it detect each item. Once done, go back into Device Manager and check that the IDE channels are back in the list. This means Windows has detected it and it has been reinstalled."

<I have tried the above before, but Mesh also suggested trying it in conjunction with the following....>
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Click on Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager.

Click on the + next to IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and you will get three items displayed:

Primary IDE Channel
    Secondary IDE Channel
    Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller.

Double click on Secondary IDE Channel and click on Advanced Settings. If your CD-RW drive Is drive D:\ then you need to change the transfer mode to PIO Only in Device 0. If your CD-RW is drive E:\ then you need to change transfer mode to PIO Only in Device 1. Once done click on Apply and then OK. Then restart your PC."

Not sure if this is good advice that they have given me, as they twice mention CD burner rather than DVD burner, however, I have one of each installed on my machine so maybe they are saying that the CD burner should be a secondry device rather than a primary device.

Well, I reackon I'll give these two things a quick try when have access to my home machine tonight, and if there is no joy with this route, I'll bite the bullet and start trying out firmware.

I'll let you know what happens, when I've finished tweaking. It'll keep me out of the pub tonight I suppose.

Cheers,

Dave.

11. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

i definately dont rate this part!

[bold]E:\ then you need to change transfer mode to PIO Only in Device 1. Once done click on Apply and then OK. Then restart your PC." [/bold]

and most on here wont either! but if it works kool, but the pio mode will be slower!

12. dravidham

dravidham Member

Rotary,

Thaks for the warning, but they are telling me to 'PIO' the CDRW and not the DVDRW. Are you saying that this tweak will slow down my CD burner or the DVD burner - If you mean the CD burner then to be honest I am not too bothered.

If it will slow down the DVD burner, then that kind of bothers me.

Which one will be affected?

Cheers,

Dave.

13. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

everyone here wont have PIO mode! we all have DMA on everything! i have 6 drives!

also was your setup working at one time? then went funny?

or was it you installed a new drive? if so did you set the jumpers right???

also my freind right now has loaded anydvd and his sytem has gone very wierd!!! very slow burns like 0.1x etc......

try uninstalling every app for cd or dvd burning ripping and load in dvd shrink and dvd decrypter now try a burn!

it could be a conflict!

did you have roxio installed by any chance?#

or inCD by nero? or any other packet writing software?

==============================

are you running RAID on 2 hd's? or 1 sata drive on primary master?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  14. dravidham

dravidham Member

Rotary,

I'm runnning 1 sata drive on primary master.

AnyDVD is completely removed now and DVD Decriptor, DVD Shrink and Nero 6.6.0.6 have all been completely removed and then reinstalled leaving the default settings. AnyDVD no longer installed.

All usual virus/adware scans completed again without issues.

I've freshly defragg'd the only hard drive that I have installed. Then I ran Registry Mechanic.

Nothing Roxio on registry (used cleaning tool) and InCD is not present. Tried burning Godfather Part 3 on five seperate occasions today using two different batches of Ritek from two different suppliers. On each occasion, rebooted and turned the modem and anti virus prog's off prior to burning.

Backing up Band Of Brothers Disk 1 (this is just a random backup-I would and have had the very same results with many other movies that I own and have tried to back up).

1st attempt with DVD Decriptor 3.5.2.0 & Ritek G05 - Plays fine on P.C., but not at all on stanndalone LG player 'check disk' and on Sony Standalone message states 'cannot play disk'

2nd attempt with DVD Decriptor 3.5.2.0 & Ritek G05 - exactly the same outcome.

3rd attempt with DVD Decriptor 3.5.2.0 & Ritek G05 - Plays fine on P.C but the LG stand alone only plays the disk upto the point where the menus should come up then the screen goes blank. The Sony standalone plays disk fine.

I then on recommendation installed DVD Decriptor 3.5.1.0 in place of the latest version. Also changed my CD drive to PIO just as an experiment. This made little difference:-

4th attempt with DVD Decriptor 3.5.1.0 & Ritek G05 - Plays fine on P.C but the LG stand alone only plays the disk upto the point where the menus should come up then the screen goes blank. The Sony standalone plays disk fine.

5th attempt with DVD Decriptor 3.5.1.0 & Ritek G05 - Plays fine on P.C but the LG stand alone only plays the disk upto the point where the menus should come up then the screen goes blank. The Sony standalone rejected disk saying 'cannot play disk'.

I look back fondly at the days of VHS!!

Mesh Computers are aware that the PIO tweak did absolutely nothing to solve anything and I am giving them until tomorrow to come back to me before I start experimenting with firmware. I've only been enduring their technical 'support' team because of warranty issues if I stray from the original firmware that is installed on the burner by default.

I'm running out of things to try!!!! - apart from firmware, have I missed anything?

Cheers,

Dave.

15. dravidham

dravidham Member

Please note that every reference in my previous post should read Ritek G04 and not G05. Sorry.

One of my DVDD logs. The other four look the same as this one:-

I 11:36:42 DVD Decrypter Version 3.5.2.0 started!
    I 11:36:42 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)
    I 11:36:42 Initialising SPTI...
    I 11:36:42 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
    I 11:36:42 Found 1 CD-RW and 1 DVD±RW!
    I 11:37:29 Operation Started!
    I 11:37:29 Source File: C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\GRAHAM\DESKTOP\BAND OF BROS DISK 1\DVDIMAGE.MDS
    I 11:37:29 Source File Sectors: 2,285,856 (MODE1/2048)
    I 11:37:29 Source File Size: 4,681,433,088 bytes
    I 11:37:29 Destination Device: [1:1:0] SONY DVD RW DW-D22A BYS3 (D:) (ATA)
    I 11:37:29 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: RITEKG04) (Speeds: 4x)
    I 11:37:29 Destination Media Sectors: 2,298,496
    I 11:37:29 Write Mode: DVD
    I 11:37:29 Write Speed: MAX
    I 11:37:29 Test Mode: No
    I 11:37:29 BURN-Proof: Enabled
    I 11:37:29 Filling Buffer...
    I 11:37:32 Writing LeadIn...
    I 11:38:15 Writing Image...
    I 11:52:04 Synchronising Cache...
    I 11:52:29 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:15:00
    I 11:52:29 Average Write Rate: 5,521 KB/s (4.0x) - Maximum Write Rate: 5,696 KB/s (4.1x)
    I 11:52:29 Cycling Tray before Verify...
    W 11:52:40 Waiting for device to become ready...
    I 11:52:48 Device ready!
    I 11:52:48 Operation Started!
    I 11:52:48 Source Device: [1:1:0] SONY DVD RW DW-D22A BYS3 (D:) (ATA)
    I 11:52:48 Source Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: RITEKG04) (Speeds: 4x)
    I 11:52:48 Verifying Sectors...
    I 12:02:45 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:09:56
    I 12:02:45 Average Verify Rate: 7,670 KB/s (5.5x) - Maximum Verify Rate: 11,255 KB/s (8.1x)

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

dravidham,
    Here is a simple question. What program are you using to compress your movie? I believe you say Shrink when needed.. That should be 99% of the time. Any way do the movies generally skip near the end of the movie or is this happening all over in the movie?

17. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

there is something wierd going on here? so the 5 attempts were with the same drive! same batch of media! and same apps! and same image!

and they all play different? now this would piont to media, but here i think theres something else? but for the life of me, i dont know?

i would try another drive! like a pioneer, but that means borrowing or buying one...

there are some cheap GOOD! drives now out, liteon etc... even pioneer 108 / 109

but i know it doesnt solve the prob, but if it were me i would need to know if its the drive!

i dont think there was a firmware for your new drive was there?

also thinking about it this is your saecond drive yes?

DID BOTH DRIVES DISPLAY THE SAME RESULTS? or were they different? this could help!

your dvd decrypter log looks good no probs there!

so did you go dvd decrypter then shrink then back to dvd decrypter to burn everythime?

i will have a think on this.........

=============================

side note...

are you in the UK? where did you buy the discs from? what is the name branding? did you run a disc in dvd identifier to see if the code ID really is go4?

nowadays i see lots of new drives being very picky! with media, getting a good match takes some time....

are the disc - format or +

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  18. dravidham

dravidham Member

bbmayo,

Shrink 3.2.0.15 is the 'shrinker' that I use. It seems to work o.k. with no issues, but maybe I'm missing something.

As for trying out the backups, generally, the majority of the time, the movies will skip, say, half-2/3rds of the way through playback on stand alones.

However occasionally with some backups, the skipping will start at the very benginning and be present on and off right through the movie. Most of the time movies are fine for around the first half of the movie (thats if my LG and XBOX standalones are willing to play them at all).

I don't think I can blame my standalone players, as I tried all of these disks on my friend's 2 DVD players and got very similar playback results.

The five burns that I ran last night were with G04's, but I can honestly say that the G05s that I have tucked away and also the Verbatims have given me the same results if I run off continous backups. Eventually I get a good backup, but who wants to run off four or five backups just to get one good one?

With the Verbatims I got a slightly higher success rate, but burning is very much trial and error even with the Verbatims. And the Verb's cost 2 1/2 times more than Riteks over here.

Weren't those VHS tapes brilliant in the old days..........no skipping, etc.

Cheers,

Dave.

19. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

everything you say above on last post says its bad media!!!!

i wonder if they are fakes! its big news at present lots of sites selling good brands with crap ID codes / dye in them!

20. dravidham

dravidham Member

bbmayo,

Yes you are right - Decriptor to Shrink then back to Decriptor for burning. Sometimes use Nero 6.6.0.6 instead to burn Shrinks VOBs in conjunction with AnyDVD, but for the purpose of the tests in this thread though,AnyDVD has been un-installed and I have left Nero alone.

Comparing the two burners, to be honest I'm having the same problems with both burners. The only difference is that with the old one that was replaced, I was able to burn at 2x which yielded a slightly higher success rate. But with the new burner, I am unable to burn at less than 2x.

I wouldn't call myself the luckiest guy in the world, but surely I'm not un lucky enough to have been the proud owner of two duff burners in a row :)

There's un-official firmware or the DW-22A. Rotary kindly provided the links earlier in the thread, but I'm a bit inexperienced in that field and need to properly read on on this prior to making my first attempt. No official firmware, it seems to be a Lite On conversion to a SOHW-16535.

Dave