1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd decrypter and dvd shrink

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by scott79, Aug 20, 2004.

1. scott79

scott79 Guest

how do i use dvd Decrypter then use Shrink to copy the dvd tryed to use Shrink and got a problem at the end it stoped reading because of codeing the dvd I am new at this and just lost $100.00 with Platinum! I am going Crazy!!! thanks for any and all help!!

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

scott79,

Again, it helps if you can be more specific. Have you checked out the guides? Also to use the combination of Shrink and Decrypter, you'll need to be using NTFS file system.

Can you post your full system specs? O/S, processor, ram, file system? And the steps your using with Shrink?

3. Veblin

Veblin Active member

flip218

You do not need a NTFS file system when you use DVD Shrink 3.2 with DVD Decrypter.

From DVD Shrink 3.2 help file.
    Added automatic support for splitting ISO files if they are saved to a FAT32 partition. In this case a .MDS file is also output which can be burned with DVD Decrypter and mounted by Daemon Tools. MDS files can additionally be opened with DVD Shrink from the "Open Disc Image..." menu.

scott79

You need to be more specific about the error you get. There is no error like.
    stoped reading because of codeing error.

The best guides. They are not updated for 3.2 but still give very good information.
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php

Last edited: Aug 20, 2004
  4. flip218

Veblin,

I know, but if you don't then you end up with two ISO files. So how do you combine the two ISO's?

5. Veblin

Veblin Active member

You don't conbine the ISO's. The MDS file tells programs like DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, Daemon Tools, Image Tool and some other's how to use the split ISO files.

6. cityby

cityby Member

first of all, thanks for the useful info inthis forum.Im new here and of course I have a question....I was following the Guide to DVD to DVD-R using Decrypter.... and i got to the point where you'll supposed to see the .DVD extension in the decrypter window. This file does not show up and the two files showing are .ISO and .MDS. What am i missing. thanks in advance.

7. flip218

Veblin,

Thanks, you given me something to try :)

8. oneacer

oneacer Regular member

scott79,

I think you will find the following useful:

Simple DVD Backup Steps

First create a folder for your HD backup. Try to put it someplace where you won’t forget it (i.e. C:/All DVD Work).

Next download DVD Decrypter (link below) and under mode select “ISO, Write”. Un-tick the box that says, “verify”. Where it says, “source”, you’ll leave that blank, as DVD Decrypter will find the location of your backed up DVD file automatically. Lastly, where it says “Destination”, select the drive where your burner resides. Feel free to close DVD Decrypter; DVD Shrink will open it when it needs it.

The link for the newest DVD Decrypter -

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Download DVD Shrink (link below). Open it and click “Edit”, then click “Preferences” on this page we’re going to select “Target DVD Size” as custom and set the size to 4360MB - we do this to make extremely sure that our disc isn’t too large. Then under the “File I/O” tab un-tick “Enable burning with Nero” then click “OK”.

The link for the newest DVD Shrink -

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner’s drive. (Many people suggest using Ritek G04, Verbatim or media boasting “Advanced AZO Dye. All other media could very well cause errors, only the very best media should be used for DVD Video backups. Now is definitely not the time to put your cheap stuff in, although there are a lot of people that have success with the cheaper media including myself, however I am currently using Ritek Ridata, which you can get for approx. .35 - .39 each (+R).)

Click on “Open Disk”.

Before you rip with Shrink, you have the option of selecting “Full Disk” or selecting “Re-author“. Most of the time before I rip with Shrink, I select re-author and then double-click on the Main Movie (usually Title 1). This moves over only the main movie to the left to be ripped. I don't even bother with the menus, as you can still select chapters with your player.

Now, click on “Backup!”. Take just a second and under “Target Device” go to “Select backup target” once there, select “ISO image file and burn with DVD Decrypter”. Finally, where it says “Select target image file”, browse till you find your created folder (i.e. C:/All DVD Work) for your backup and click “Save”. That’s it! Click “OK” and DVD Shrink burns that ISO image to your HD. It then opens DVD Decrypter and has it burn the ISO image to your waiting blank DVD.

P.S. You will find it easy if you place a shortcut on your desktop for “All DVD Work”. This way you can open it and empty it often as the movies stay there, in case you need to backup again. However the more you keep in there, the quicker you run out of HD space.

Also don’t use your PC for anything at all while it’s backing up, including turning off anti-virus, screen savers, and all other programs that might be running in the background.

Good Luck

9. Veblin

Veblin Active member

I had to look at the guide because I have never seen the .DVD extension. I don't know what that is about other than it may be old information. The .MDS file is what is currently used wth the newest versions of DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink when using FAT 32 drives.

10. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

Please follow oneacer's directions. I did and it works flawlessly. These 2 programs are a great combo. No need to do anything else or use anything else.

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey there oneacer,

Very nice guide, I especially like the "All DVD Work" suggestion -

Cheers,

Pete

12. oneacer

oneacer Regular member

HI Pete,
    How are you? I finally got around to update it for version 3.2. This certainly seems to be the most simple solution for back-ups. Thanks again, couldn't have done it without you.

13. cityby

cityby Member

hi veblin, do you mean to say then that you select .MDS to burn instead of .DVD? thanks

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

oneacer,

My guide is updated for Shrink 3.2 -

BTW I don't mind a bit "O" copying, it just means that others like my work too (Lol)

You wouldn't believe how many other sites I've seen my work on - it was lind of scary, Heh, heh

Keep up the good work -

Byeeeeeeeeee

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there cityby,

DVD Decrypter doesn't spit out a .DVD extention, it comes out as a .MDS extention

You want to burn the .MDS

There will actually have 2 files. One for several Gigs and the other for like 500KB (the sizes on both vary) you want to grab the one that's several Gigs, the other isn't needed at all :)

cheers,

Pete

16. cityby

cityby Member

scuba pete, i'll give it a shot..thanks

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

You'll do just fine BUT -

Stop back and let us know how you made out, OK ?

Cheers,

18. cityby

cityby Member

scuba, when i tried to start burning, the two files showing up are .ISO (about 4 GB) and .MDS, (about 5k). it looks like the opposite...

19. flip218

cityby,

If you have one ISO file, then just burn the ISO.

20. cityby

cityby Member

flip, scuba.....thanks for your assistance. I was successful.I felt frustrated the past several days. I guess my next project will be how to burn DVD-R to DVR-R. Can Decrypter do this too? again, I appreciate the help.