1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Decrypter and Subtitles

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by GMZeroX, Sep 25, 2004.

1. GMZeroX

GMZeroX Member

Hello, everyone.

I have a rather simple question regarding DVD Decrypter.

When I use the IFO mode to decrypt the VOB format onto my hard drive, I often do so with the subtitles checked (in stream processing). However, when I play the VOB file through various media players, it seems the subtitles never appear.

So far, I have tried to play the VOB back through WinDVD, Power DVD, DivX, Zoom Player, and a few others without success.

After running a Google search, I've noticed that subtitles apparently have to be ripped using a different means other than DVD Decrypter. So, what exactly is the purpose of being able to select the subtitles in DVD Decrypter's stream processing feature?

Are the subtitles actually being decrypted through DVD Decrypter when I do this? If so, is there any media player that might be able to play back these VOB with the subtitles, without the use of another program?

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

2. Daveed

Daveed Member

This is also a concern for me as well. For movies that have no english audio track not having working subtitles can create a bit of a problem. That is unless I want to learn Japanese or Latin in order to fully enjoy a movie and that's a course I'd rather not take.

So if anone out there knows a way to solve this, please let us know. It would be much appreciated, thank you.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Oct 4, 2004
  4. GMZeroX

GMZeroX Member

Because I just want a VOB movie file with a specific spoken language (without all of the DVD's extra languages and subtitles). As far as I know, that's accomplished in IFO mode with stream processing.

IFO mode also has the ability to decrypt the subtitles ... but when I play the VOB file back (either in WinDVD, Power DVD, or a variety of other media players), the subtitles don't appear. Any idea why?

Thank you for your time and assistance, by the way. =)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2004
  5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

To be honest I've never messed with IFO since File and ISO modes have done everything I need.

Bearing that in mind if I was shooting for the results you want I'd use DVD Shrink in Reauthor mode to rip just the movie and get rid of all the audio and subpicture streams that I didn't want.

I know thids isn't really the answer to your question but it's the best I can do in this situation :)