1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Decrypter quality check

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Schaf1945, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Schaf1945

Schaf1945 Member

I have just converted to RB/CCE so my latest glitch was blamed initially on my new process. The problem is small sound dropouts, about as long as a scratch on an LP record. In the past I have suspected my media which is not the best (Princo $Aust 3.50) which does give the occasional coaster. So I ran the backup through DVDInfo Pro to check for read errors - there were none. I no longer have the original DVD but I had not erased the DVDDecrypter files from my HD. So I played these files with PowerDVD - lo and behold there was the problem. These files had been ripped with no errors. My question - is there a program out there that will analyze the decrypted files before I waste the hours consumed by RB/CCE?

2. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

To answer your question, I'm not aware of any way to analyze the decrypted files for errors.

I have experienced this effect a couple of times with older movies. On one there were two places where I got a glitch. When I replayed the source DVD I could only hear one of them. In hindsight I wish that I had also tried ripping with Smartripper to see if it did the same thing. All in all, I think that this is a source DVD related problem, rather than a DVD Decrypter one. If there was a way to check decrypted files, I don't think it would root out this particular problem.

3. Schaf1945

Schaf1945 Member

Yes there may well have been scratches or whatever on the original, but apparently not big enough to worry DVD Decrypter or DVDInfo Pro. Thanks for your thoughts. By the way I've since switched to Verbatim DataLifePlus Metal AZO - there I go off topic again :-(.

4. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Actually, scratches will cause a read problem that will be indicated by Decrypter. When I was talking about source material, I was referring to errors that exist within the digital data on the DVD. You can have something we hear to be an error actually be perfect in terms of the digital data on the DVD.

5. 64026402

64026402 Active member

If it's a Quinton Tarantino movie there are a lot of built in defects that are supposed to be there.

6. pieman

pieman Regular member

if its a tarantino film thats the whole film isnt it?

7. Schaf1945

Schaf1945 Member

It was Human Stain (Nicole Kidman & Anthony Hopkins)

8. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

I have that movie. About where did you get the drop off, and I will see if I have it (give me a couple of days).

9. Schaf1945

Schaf1945 Member

I haven't got it on me right now (I'm at work), but my recollection was that the first dropout was in the initial titles, as the actors names are coming up.

10. gorangel

gorangel Guest

jdobbs just realeases a new version of RB (0.57 beta), maybe you can try that. There is also a thread about audio dropouts with RB in www.doom9.org

11. Schaf1945

Schaf1945 Member

Actually fellas it has turned out to be a wild goose chase. I just remembered that I still have a copy of the disk which I had put through DVD Decrypter/RB/CCE on my work PC (was used to gain experience before I took RB/CCE home). Watching these files on PowerDVD there are no sound dropouts. So this points the finger at my home PC setup!

12. pieman

pieman Regular member

glad its sorted