1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd decrypter reading slow

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by SolbergWC, May 25, 2004.

1. SolbergWC

SolbergWC Member

I have the newest version. Nero shows that my
    hl-dt-st gca 4040n burner reads at 24x. I am only getting 1-1.4x rips. I used to get significantly higher but can't seem to any more. I have searched for firmware upgrades and found that there are none for this drive. Please help.

HP Pavillion ze 5600 notebook
    P4 2.3
    512mb RAM

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Is DMA enabled for your burner?

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I just replaced my friends LG 4040 with a Lite-on JMLS 166S. It was taking him over an hour to rip a disc with Shrink and the LG 4040.
    After installing the 166 we did a test rip and completed it in 12 minutes. The next two discs ripped in 14 minutes and 12 minutes. The forth disc ripped in 10 minutes.
    Not to bad for a $30.00 ROM. (Newegg, free shipping!) Fastest ROM I've seen to date.
    His computer is a standard Gateway PC, 2.8 gig P4 with 512 MB of RAM that came out of my Vaio when I upgraded to 1 gig.
    That newbie is ripping faster in just 3 days than I ever have. He also borrowed my Pioneer A-06.
    Maybe I should take it back. Naw, he can do my back-ups, I want to play with DVD Lab.

Cheers,
    Frank

4. SolbergWC

SolbergWC Member

I have just enabled DMA on the burner. It is making a little bit of a difference. It's now up to about 2x ripping. Not quite the performance hike I was hoping for. Is there anything else I can do?

5. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

If you are ripping from you burner the rip speed on encrypted disks is usually lock by the manuf. @ 2x. Get a DVD-Rom as they are not locked, but remember a 16x dvd-rom will not rip an encrypted movie @ 16x. It will probably get up to 8x in avg rip times

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Another vote for the Lite On 166S. Mine tears through everything I stuff in it. I haven't heard many good things about the LG ROMs.

7. SolbergWC

SolbergWC Member

I guess I'll just live with what I got. I am using a laptop with an internal burner. I don't have room to add a dvd-rom and I don't want to go external(if external dvd-rom's exist)

8. Ni4ni

Ni4ni Member

Go to
    1. My Computer
    2. Control Panel
    3. System
    4. Hardware
    5. Device Manager
    6. IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
    7. Open the installed IDE channels (Primary and Secondary)
    8. Click on Advanced settings
    9. You will see the transfer mode. If any are PIO you need to un-install the channel (right click and choose uninstall) and re-boot. Windows will reinstall the device and return it to DMA mode.
    10. Be careful when using this procedure because if you have an older hard drive or storage device that does not support DMA you could corrupt your data.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472