1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Decrypter Sempahore Timeout on Read

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by jc2, May 14, 2007.

1. jc2

jc2 Member

I've been backing up my Disney Treasures Collection so I don't have to worry about scratching the original discs. I've got 44 discs. However one of the discs (Silly Symphonies Disc 2) about 40% into the decryption, I get ongoing Semaphore timeout errors and I can't rip the disc. This is READING people, not writing. The disc looks brand new. I'm running a BenQ DW1655 in a MadDog USB2 enclosure. No problems with the other discs! Firmware version says HOQ4 I believe.

Help!

2. jc2

jc2 Member

I should mention this also happens on my other computer with a built-in HP DVD drive.

3. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

Have you tried using a different ripper, like DVDFab?

4. jc2

jc2 Member

I've tried AnyDVD and CloneDVD2. Same result. This program reports a sector CRC error at about the same point.

5. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

Iso buster is probably the best ripper for read errors, try that out.

6. jc2

jc2 Member

So I have AnyDVD loaded to decrypt in the background, then I run ISO Buster. I see the VIDEO_TS directories in both the ISO tree and the IFO tree. All I know is to burn a DVD I need to burn the VIDEO_TS files. Does it matter which tree ISO or IFO I extract the files from using ISO Buster.

7. jc2

jc2 Member

Tryin ISO Buster, it's the same problem as any other program. Even when you tell it to ignore the errors, it could take several days when you have thousands of sector read errors. The only thing to do is skip the whole VOB but then you don't know if you are skipping some good sectors later inthe VOB. I guess it boils down to paitence but I left DVD Decrypter running all last night and it was still working on VOB 4. VOB 5 has the same problem. Plus ISO Buster doesn't even show you the progress at a sector level like DVD Decrypter so all I can watch is how fast the percentage complete increases. With VOB 4 and 5 it sits on the same percentage for at least a half hour until I finally give up and skip the entire VOB. Again, this is on a brand new disc!

8. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

it might be a bad press, try returning it for another.