1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Decrypter vs. DVD Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by hooshies, Sep 14, 2004.

1. hooshies

hooshies Member

I searched the forums for an answer, but couldn't find one...hope this is not a duplicate post.

I see a lot of posts from people who use DVD Decrypter to write the DVD to hard drive, then use Shrink to "shrink" the files, and Nero to burn. This probably sounds dumb, but why not just use DVD Shrink? DVD Shrink encodes, shrinks, and burns the DVD all by itself (of course, using Nero to burn).

Am I missing something? Do you lose quality with DVD Shrink? Is it better to rip with Decrypter then shrink with DVD Shrink?

I use DVD Shrink myself. I pop the original in my DVD-ROM, a DVD+R into my DVD writer, and DVD Shrink does the rest. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You're not missing anything. In most cases there's no need to use Decrypter before Shrink but for some reason many folks feel there's something special about taking the long route :)

3. Hallywood

Hallywood Regular member

I have to agree with Nephilim. Shrink is easy and works fine in most cases all by itself. I personally haven't had to use anything else except for experimenting.
    Good Luck,
    HW.

4. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

It's not because the process is special ... it's becaue we are special people :)

I like ripping with Decrypter first, cause I use other programs besides Shrink. So I'll rip with Decrypter first, then decide which progam to run it through :)

5. pudlich

pudlich Member

could someone tell me why it is that when i use dvd shrink after about 1 hour or so,the sound seems to go off.the picture is fine.i know the film is ok before i use dvd shrink cos i check them.could someone please help me out with this problem?
    cheers

6. datageek

datageek Member

I'm with flip - I do the same, decrypt first then figure out which one to burn with.

7. ricster

ricster Regular member

I always try Shrink first. If Shrink can't handle it, then I call in Decrypter and then use Shrink to finish the job.

8. RedAnt

RedAnt Regular member

-The only time I use DVD Decrypter to encode is if I have problems with Shrink encoding a DVD, and that only happens once in a Blue moon.
    -As far as for burning DVD Iso Decrypter is just outstanding.

9. josieu

josieu Member

hi guys sorry to bog people with boring questios but since the loss of money i put into dvdxcopy plat-i downloaded the shrink but there is one thing id like to ask how do you burn a movie i am very new at this can some one spread some light to some one who is so dumb in this isssue

jejeje thanks in advance everyone!

10. hooshies

hooshies Member

Thanks for the input guys.

I just really felt like I was missing something, because it seemed that Shrink is just too easy for everyone NOT to use it. But, I do agree with some, in that when Shrink can't rip a DVD, I use Decrypter as well.

I just thought that there was some sort of advantage, guess not!

Thanks to everyone!

11. flip218

12. regor

regor Regular member

Hi Josieu - Not sure why you feel you lost your money with dvdxcopy platinum, sure they went defunct, so to speak, but the SW is still is usable. I just yesterday downloaded v4.0.3.8 (from ahem morphius) and was able to activate it. I do own legally.

I rip the movie with xcopy but since I abhor the legal disclaimer I use ifoedit9.6 to remove the playback, easy, then save changes and continue on to burn the new dvd with xcopy. It works great, every time.

I realize that is a pee poor method to some but I can burn a flawless replica in less than an hour. every time.

13. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

"Short bus" kinda special in your case, flip ;)

14. eric545

eric545 Regular member

hooshies

I found that by first using DVD Decrypter to get the whole movie into a folder, then using Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 (copy DVD feature) to burn only the main movie to DVD-R works pretty good. I have also found that by using DVD-R's that are rated less than your burner is capable of burning works best. When using either my 8X Pioneer DVR-A07 or 16X Pioneer DVR-108, I only use Princo 4X General DVD-R's and have had fantastic suscess.

15. eric545

eric545 Regular member

Nephilim

I only use Decrypter then Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 and have had nothing but fantastic results buring DVD-R's. I have no reason to use shrink or any desire to do so!

16. flip218

eric545,

Why would you direct this post to Nephilim? That's fine if you have no reason or desire to use Shrink, but for many people they don't want to spend money on backup software ... so Decrypter and Shrink are perfect for them.

Last, I glad your able to successfully backup a dvd with Roxio Easy Media Creator 7, but your off topic :) ... the thread is Decrypter vs. Shrink.

p.s. Your site look very informative :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dell 8250, Pentium 4 2.80GHz
    1.5 GB RDRAM, 700GB HD
    NEC 2510A, Sony DDU-1612 DVD-ROM
    XP Pro SP2, ATI All-In-Wonder 9000 Pro[/small]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2004
  17. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I do the same simply because DVD Decryptor has many more options to rip the dvd. I have no complaints about DVD Shrink because the program is free of charge. My preferance is DVD Decryptor+ CloneDVD2

18. flip218

An excellent combo ... my first choice as well :)

19. OzMick

OzMick Guest

Just my way of doing things, but I coughed up for a copy of DVDIdle Pro, another feature of which is the complete stripping of all region locking, CSS and prohibited user options (like skipping direct to the menu over the warnings). I realise it costs money, BUT it makes DVD Decrypter entirely redundant, and allows any program to transcode directly (like CloneDVD), and Shrink never has any more problems. Not to mention all the other cool features, like acting as a massive buffer for heavily scratched discs or poor media (not an intended feature, but works great). I guess you just have to be willing to pay for it, but it does region unlock your drive (without firmware changes) if you're into importing.

20. hm1

hm1 Regular member

shrink and Decrypter rule

they work well together and between them have got the market cornered