1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Decrypter won't read past a certain point on some DVD's

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by FGant, Dec 14, 2003.

1. FGant

FGant Member

I've read several posts about this problem and am experiencing it myself. I've tried all the solutions and nothing works. Here is the problem I'm having and what I've tried.

When ripping, Alien, Aliens, Terminator 3, and The Matrix Reloaded, at some point the both drives stop being able to read the disk. One drive is a Ricoh 5240a and the other drive is a Creative PC-DVD 6x. They both stop in the same places on each of these disks. I've tried opening the DVD's in PowerDVD first and pausing the movie to keep the files unlocked. This doesn't work. I've checked the disks for damage. There is no visible damage. I've installed new flash on the drives. Reinstalled drivers. Installed different ASPI drivers and so on. I even thought that my XP might be screwed up and did a clean install of XP (it was time for a clean install anyway). Nothing I have done works. I have others disks that will rip just fine. Transformers (all seasons), Gladiator, Lord of the Rings, and so on. I don't understand why these disks would be any different. If you have any ideas on how to fix this please let me know.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well the DVD"s could be Dammaged...I had this Once with DVD Decrypter were it would rip the DVD up untill a certain point and then it would suddenly slow to a Snails Pace and eventually stop...the solution was to use DVD X Repair to rip the DVD.....

3. FGant

FGant Member

Well, all of them play in dvd players without any problems. And several are brand new disks. But I guess that doesn't really mean much. I'll try what you said and see how that works.

If anyone else has any ideas, it's appreciated. Thanks.

4. FGant

FGant Member

There dosn't seem to be anything wrong with the disks. They won't read even in the fixer programs. But again, I have 3 standalone dvd players and they play just fine. I decided to see how many other dvd's won't play. I tried 8 more and none work. They are all dvd movies. I just don't get it. I've got many dvd's that do play just fine. What is so different about the dvd's that won't play?

5. gabrielle

gabrielle Guest

I'm having the same problem but with only 2 movies out of loads...I get a failure notice says "cannot read, cyclic redundancy check", whats that and how can I stop it????

6. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

gabrielle,
    cyclic redundancy is a dirty disc. You need to clean it and try again. If you have problems with an particular vob, you can just try to rip that one by brute force.

You should start a new post for your problems.

7. FGant

FGant Member

Here is a link to a screen capture of the error I get. This is the same basic error for each disk that won't read past a certain pont. Help is greatly appreciated.

http://galactimus.com/decrypterror.jpg

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Maybe you need your Drives Lazer Cleaned or maybe your DVD Drives Have Just Gotten old or something, Or maybe you need a New ASPI Layer.....

9. FGant

FGant Member

The Ricoh drive is brand new. The Creative drive is older. I don't see how the Ricoh drive could need to be cleaned already. I've tried many ASPI drivers. None seem to help.

10. FGant

FGant Member

Hmm. I still haven't found any usefull info on this error. Could it be something else in the PC causing a conflict?

11. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Will the movie(s) play on the PC DVD player using Power DVD. What programs are running in the background while you are ripping the movie. The only time Decrypter would not work for me was with a bad disc. It is a read error. Also you could try ripping to ISO mode

Last edited: Dec 17, 2003
  12. casposa

casposa Member

Hi franck,
    I have the same problem than u. I just cannot rip some DVD whereas i can rip some others with no problems.
    If you find a way to do it, please just tell me'cauze a i have just bought that DVD recorder and i don't want to throw it to the bucket so soon!!!!!!!