1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd decrypter

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by june_bugg, Dec 27, 2003.

1. june_bugg

june_bugg Guest

i got a dvd burner for christmas and i was trying to back up one of my dvd's

i followed to the letter the steps used in this guide...http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/small_dvd_2_dvdr.cfm

while in the writing stage i got an error something to the effect....invalid or incorrect format ???
    ive tried using dvd-r dvd+r dvd-rw

wont someone please help this newbie

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

june_bugg,

1. First, is your DVD under 4.36GB ??

2. If not, or if you don't know, you shouldn't be using Decrypter -

3. If it is under 4.36GB then DO NOT use DeCrypter to "write" with. Use Nero or CloneDVD or RecordNow Max.

4. If it is > than 4.36GB or if you don't know, then I'm going to recommend that you use DVDShrink. It's super easy to use and will handle 90% of all your back up needs (and it's FREE)

You still need the Software listed in # 3. And there I recommend Nero - you can get a 30-day free trial to use that.

The guides and download links are below,

Enjoy your Christmas present and
    Welcome to the Club,
    "P"

3. june_bugg

june_bugg Guest

the dvd is smaller than 4.7 gb,thats the size of my dvd-r's,why must it be under 4.3gb ?

so what your saying is, i can use decryptor to read but not write?

i already have nero ultra 6, how do i use that to burn my dvd files?

ive already downloaded dvd shrink, do i need to use that even if its not over 4.7gb?

ive ripped many dvd's to vcd's but this dvd thing has me stumped.

sorry about all the dumb questions,i really appreciate the help tho.

thanks for the warm welcome by the way :)

june_bugg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2003
  4. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

Now I'm confused. Are you trying to backup a commercial dvd or a dvd-r. Are you sure it is less than 4.7(4.36) gb.

To start, most commercial dvd's are dvd-9 which are dual layered dvd's which contain 9.4 gb (8.72)

I agree with pete, decrypter is not a good burning programs, it works for some but is not reliable-- and even then only for dvd's less than 4.7 gb.

Dvd shrink is great (especially because it is free) and works for most anything. With the dvd's that don't need compressing, i still use dvd shrink to rip and let the compression be 0.

Check out these sites:
    http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/user_guides.htm
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/

5. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

with your dvd iso, is the file greater than 4.36 GB? It seems confusing, but the manufacturers of blank dvd±r's label as 4.7 billion bytes, quite literally 4.7 * 10^9, however, your computer doesn't recognize data as a base 10 number, it instead recognizes it as base 2 data, I forget the exact number, but the exact size of a blank±r is something like 2^32 bytes which translates to like 4.295 thousand megs, and(the data being base 2) a meg is 2^10, or 1024 kilobytes, so when multiplying out the numbers (4.295 * 1024) a blank dvd±r holds about 4398 megs(based on my calculations) which is very close to accepted number of (4.36 * 1024) 4464 megs. Now after that lengthy explanation, you should understand that if your dvd iso is not in fact less that 4.36 gigs you will need to follow a seperate guide, I suggest this one: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd9_to_dvdr_with_dvd_shrink.cfm On a side note, if your dvd iso is within the size limit, then your computer may have a problem with dvddecrypter, and still you can use dvdshrink to attempt the backup. Post your findings

6. june_bugg

june_bugg Guest

i used dvd shrink and got the numbers well below 4gb

i then attempted to burn the files using nero and 10 or 15 minutes in the burn failed, and i didnt even look at my computer, i had nothing open. the pc was sitting idle i was watching the football game lol

im reading the guide that was posted but it looks like the same thing i did before, but ill try again thank heaven for dvdrw's lol

7. june_bugg

june_bugg Guest

success!!!

thank you for all the great advice.
    the guides posted by....yuedana...were very helpful!

i was doing everything step by step on the guides ive read, but my burning with nero kept failing.

the only thing i did differently is i deleted the easy cd creator 6 that came with my burner and i also switched off the reusable (coasters)lol to a dvd-r.
    i get the feeling that roxio and nero dont work well on the same p.c. together.

could roxio have been my problem? or was it the dvdrw's i was using?
    at any rate it worked and its amazing how close to original my backup is,maybe its all worth it after all!
    what is the highest compression level you can use without a big decrease in picture quality?
    im working on a harry potter movie and all i have is the movie itself with the credits, subtitles, and extra audio cut off, and i still have to use at least an 8 level.
    i guess ill have to split it and put it on two dvdr's?

thanks again
    june(a newbie but trying to learn)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2003
  8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi June,

It's me again -

I see you've gotten most of your answers (although msb5150's $ 69.99 dollar answer I didn't understand, I know it's right - I just don't understand the number stufff).

Still instead of using the 4.36GB size, if you are using Shrink, I like to see a little bit of gray stuff at the end of that green bar thingy at the top of the page before I back up.

I'm using DVDShrink 3.0Beta 5 and it doesn't have numbers but I suggest you stay with your version, it's great to start from -To answer your question, I have used # 8 and noticed no difference on my 19" monitor or my 60" Big Screen. When you re-author (compress it even more) there is some minor difference around extreme facial close-ups, etc.

As far as Roxio goes, there are some (only a very few, but some) who use Roxio - Me, it went into the circular file - it caused many more problems than it was worth - DVD XCopy won't be seen in public with the likes of her - sooo off to the dumpster did Miss Roxio go -

Glad to hear of your success -

May the rest of the New Year be as nice to you,
    "P"

9. june_bugg

june_bugg Guest

thanks pete

i did my harry potter, and at the level 8, and if theres is any drop in quality of the pic,its too slight for me to see!

i didnt get the numbers posted by 5150 either but it sounded very impressive lol
    the one thing ive learned for sure, is to stay under the magic number 4.36gb and i should be fine!

thanks again to all and happy holidays

june

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2003
  10. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Hmm.... I always use DVD Decryter, ISO-> Read, ISO Write. Works great for me and many others. Give it a shot. You can also use Decrypter to burn any data ISO to CD-R's also. There are still a whole lot of older DVD 5's out there. With Decrypter it's fast and easy. Why go to Nero? Seems to be a whole lot of posts with Nero burning problems.

There is also a new version available.
    http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

11. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

I knew that post was gonna be confusing when half-way through it I had to stop and reread it all and think about it...But by then I had expended too much effort to not post it.

12. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

Pete, do you know something i don't know? I agree totally with MysticE and I've been using solely DvdDecrypter for burning. It's free and it has been working a whole lot better than Nero 6 on my pc, since I wasn't able to make even one successful burn with Nero. I haven't tried getting all the updates for Nero, since Decrypter does the job just fine. But I'm wondering why you gave such a statement... you usually seem to know what you're talkin' about, so is there something involved here that I don't know yet? Any reasons not to use Decrypter for burning? Thanks!

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Ketale,

Thanks for the compliment, I think
    I "Usually" say, "in my opinion-" in this case, I did not –
    Sorry, I was NOT stating a [bold]fact[/bold], just my opinion !

I also had a “typo” when I said when under 4.36GB when it should have been OVER 4.36GB but as a constant user of DeCrypter I thought that you might have known that.

It has been my experience and many others I have talked with including [bold]yuedana[/bold] in this thread -
    [/bold] that many have unnecessary problems with DeCrypter in the write mode.

As far as DVDShrink is concerned, you can use that program whether your DVD is a “5” or a “9” – no need to change horses, that Pony is good for the mountains AND the Plains -

I don't know what problems you have had with Nero but I for one would be more than happy to guide you through it, to show you how easy it truly is – it is rarely that someone says that Nero wouldn’t work at all - they might like Clone (as I do) because of the Popcorn eating Sheep - perhaps if you tried it and asked for help when needed (usually on your first trip through only) you might join the majority of users who place it in the top 3 burning programs – “they” being Nero, CloneDVD and RecordNow Max.

I felt that June would have the least amount of difficulty using Nero to achieve a successful outcome -and isn't that what we are here for - to help others to achieve a successful outcome, whatever their task may be ??

There are users like yourself who "Love" DeCrypter for burning, I'm not trying to convince you to give it up - I'm just trying to give the thread posters the best odds for completing their job in as few as steps and with the least chance of error as I can.

Hope that helps “clear the air”,
    “P”

Mystic,
    Glad you brought up the burning to CD's -

With Nero's Mini-DVD format, allowing one to use your VIDEO_TS BUP, VIDEO_TS IFO, and VIDEO_TS VOB files right from your rip as far [bold]as my opinion goes,[/bold] we're talking a superior picture is available when compared to other formats.

Again, those are my reasons for arriving at my opinion -

and to all, Happy New Year,
    Pete

Last edited: Dec 29, 2003
  14. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

Pete,
    the compliment was truly a real compliment. I've been reading your helpful replies to people, and there seem to be quite a few out there (I wonder how you have all the extra time to answer to all of these threads... :) ) Knowing that you have experience in these things was the reason why I made your statement such a "big thing", no flaming or the like intended... ;) just wanted to make sure that there are no unpleasant surprises in the dvds I've burned using decrypter.
    As I said, my experiences with decrypter have been only positive, it has been the only burning program that accurately gives me the possibility to chose the burning speed (GearDVD for instance was always on MAX) and since Nero 6 was giving me a hard time I have used decrypter to burn all my dvds. If their >4.38G then I use DVDShrink to compress it, then ImgTool Classic to create an image of the files which is then burned with decrypter to the dvd, if <4.38G then decrypter does the whole job. The ImgTool and DVDDecrypter interface is combined, so it's really easy to use. It has been working for me every time, and if you skim through the threads you'll propably find more people having trouble with Nero (especially 6) than with decrypter, at least that's what I've been noticing.
    Well anyway, thank you for clearing this up, and after reading what you said maybe I'll give Nero another try sometime.
    Thanks! Happy New Year!!!

Ketale

15. MysticE

MysticE Active member

It's so nice to have stumbled upon such a civil helpful forum with polite people.

I would like to say that with the almost infinite configurations of software/hardware out there it's important to pick the software that plays nice with your system (one size does not fit all). There are many good programs out there which do essentially the same thing (firewalls, burning apps, Anti-virus etc.). If one gives me problems , I'll try another. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

If you work with -R's, burnatonce is a great free burning app (audio, video, ISO's etc.)

http://www.dvdshrink.info/burnatonce.php

Happy New Year to all.