1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd decrypter

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by fvkasm2x, Apr 14, 2005.

1. fvkasm2x

fvkasm2x Member

after many trials and tribulations... i finally burned 2 games in a row with no problems.

However, when i try to copy an ISO image onto my hard drive using DVD decrypter ... sometimes it saves it as 1 iso file (that works) and sometimes it saves it as 3 files: 1 MDS file, 1 file called I00 and 1 called I01.

Why does it sometimes work and sometimes not?

It worked for EA fight night and NBA 2k5 ... but not MLB baseball05
    or Fifa 2005.

2. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I've personally never seen the I00 and I01 or whatever those files are, but I'm going to assume that DVD Decrypter is splitting the game up into 1GB sized files.

Select the MDS file when you burn with Decrypter. That should do ya right.

3. Ben_32

Ben_32 Member

hey yeah i had similar problem i tried to backup madden 2005 with dvd decrypter my first turn and it seem to burn properly but didnt read in sony??? how do you get it to work

4. squizzle

squizzle Active member

@ben32

Is your PS2 modded? You need some modifications to be done for your PS2 to be able to read burned copies of games.

5. steimy

steimy Active member

never seen that one. I have used DVD Decrypter for about a year now at least. I only ever get an MDS and ISO file which is normal.
    Is your system FAT32 by any chance? If not there must be a setting somewhere either on the burner or on DVD Decrypter that is causing it.

6. jhunter

jhunter Member

i have a question for anybody who might know. i'm in the navy and currently underway. i just recently got a mod chip installed on my playstation 2 at a port. my question is can i please get a step by step instructions on how to burn playstation 2 games? i tried using nero by itself through a friends laptop but i had no success. i keep hearing that using dvd decrypter and nero are my best option and i use it wehn i make copies of movies quite successfully. my ONLY problem is i will not be returning to my home port until the end of summer. i would really appreciate some help concerning this so i have soething to look forward to on my return home(other than spending time with my wife!!!). thank you very much

7. nunzv.1

nunzv.1 Member

when i upload a game to my hd with DVD Decrypter it gives me 2 files, a .mds and a .iso....When i burn do i just use the .iso file by itself or both

8. steimy

steimy Active member

nunzv.1
    you burn the MDS file only

jhunter, here are directions for DVD Decrypter that i made
    http://home.earthlink.net/~moderator/id3.html

make sure you use good DVD's to burn them on.
    TDK, Ritek, Phillips are some good ones. I think they have a media guide somewhere on this site.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2005
  9. jhunter

jhunter Member

thank you steimy. i have another question. can i also you dvdxcopy to burn playstaion 2 games or is dvd decryptor the best choice?

10. FreeGamer

FreeGamer Guest

JHunter you can't use DVD X COPY to burn PS2 games...You have to use DVDDecrypter...That should help you man-

And for everyone else I don't get why you are saying burn the MDS file to a DVD+/-R...The MDS is the smallest file you get when you copy the game to your HD it is only like 4kb in size and DVDDecrypter will not even let you select the MDS file anyway...I burnt all my games with the ISO which is the game...

And JHunter again when you use DVDDecrypter go to MODE at top...Then ISO read...Save it to a place you can remember...Then when it is done go to MODE...Then ISO write and select the biggest file which is the ISO (it should be in GB size NOT KB) then burn it with a dvd burner with good media or it will turn all crappy..I use MAXELL and they work 100% of my time so far! Good luck

11. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

The .mds is the diagram of how the .iso was built.
    if one is available you should use the .mds file.

You are supposed to select the .mds file. If you dont dvd decrypter will automatically select it for you.
    But if you were using alcohol or another program
    YOU MUST SELECT THE .MDS

Last edited: Apr 15, 2005
  12. jhunter

jhunter Member

thanks for the info freegamer. i was also told and found out that memorex dvd-r is a really good dvd disk to use to make movies with dvd decrypter. so i'm assuming it would be the same for playstation 2 games also. just thought it would be some good info for anyone

13. steimy

steimy Active member

do not assume that just because it works for games, that it will work for movies. Movies you can burn on any old crap and they seem to work.
    Games on the other hand need good media. Try them and they may work, but for me the Memorex were not so good.

Freegamer, everyone else is saying it because it is true.
    DVD Decrypter you burn the MDS file, my DVD Decrypter even puts up a warning message when you choose the ISO file that i should have selected the MDS file and it picks it for me anyway.

14. squizzle

squizzle Active member

the warning message can be turned off and if you do that I think it automatically selects the MDS file for you.

Memorex is like a crapshoot. They are made by many many different manufacturers, some good, most bad. I personally shy away from Memorex.

And you don't have to burn games using DVD Decrypter. It's just free and produces great results. Don't forget to burn at minimum speed (1x preferred, 2x should be ok).

15. fvkasm2x

fvkasm2x Member

if an ISO file is available, i burn that one no problem. When i get more than 1 file (like the I00 for example) then dvd decrypter auto selects the mds file.

As for media... every media i have tried sucks ass except for Verbatim and Maxell. The other 3 types i have tried all crapped out.

16. fvkasm2x

fvkasm2x Member

W 13:54:03 Drive C:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB

that pops up in dvd decrypter b4 i burn a disc. Is that why it only works sometimes?

guess my system is FAT32 ... is that important? can i change it? do i need to? whats that mean? lol

17. nunzv.1

nunzv.1 Member

im a little confused...why would i burn the .mds file when it is only like 4kb...why wouldnt i burn the .iso file when its the real thing

18. squizzle

squizzle Active member

The ISO is actually a few different files. The MDS is what tells your computer how to sort them when you burn.........I think.

19. ju_

ju_ Member

fvkasm2x

Don't worry. What operating system are you using windows 98 ME? If you are the maximum file size on this operating sytem is 4GB for a single file. That is why you will be getting multiple files for a single ISO if the ISO of the game you are trying to backup is greater than 4GB. There is a program which enables you to create a partition on your hard disc and format it NTFS (ie single file greater than 4GB) but this does cost money. If you are using windows NT,2000,XP you will need to convert your hard disc.

20. FreeGamer

FreeGamer Guest

Ok but how the hell is the MDS file the game when it is only 4kb?? And when I select the MDS it says I SHOULD HAVE SELECTED THE ISO NOT THE MDS...Wow mine must be total opposite from yours then..Cuz if you burn an MDS on my computer your not burning shit