1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd decrypting and burning is so slow

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by brownb, Jan 16, 2005.

1. brownb

brownb Member

When I first started copying dvds I was impressed because I could burn and copy it in 25 minutes. For some reason now it takes 3 hours for the whole process. If this helps I am using 1ClickDvdCopy and dvd43free. Does anybody have any suggestions on why copying a dvd slowed down and what software to use.

2. beltline

beltline Regular member

Your drives may have swtched to PIO mode. They need to be in DMA for optimal performance:

To ensure your drives are operating in DMA mode: (1) Right Click on "My Computer" on your desk top, (2) click on "Properties",(3) Goto the Hardware Tab, (4) Device Manager, (5) IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, (6) Right Click on Primary IDE Channel --> Properties, (7) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK,(8) Right Click on Seconady IDE Channel --> Properties, (9) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK, (10) Reboot

3. brownb

brownb Member

I really appreciate your advice! My settings were already set to DMA. Do you have any more suggestions? Just for the record how long does it take you to copy a dvd.

4. brownb

brownb Member

I really appreciate your advice! My settings were already set to DMA. Do you have any more suggestions? Just for the record how long does it take you to copy a dvd?

5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Have you added a new DVD burrner or CD/DVD-ROM drive?

6. brownb

brownb Member

No I have not added a new DVD burner or CD/DVD-ROM drive. I am still using the orignal burner and software.

7. beltline

beltline Regular member

I've seen where defragging your hard drive can help. You haven't givin any information about your system, so it's a little hard to tell what's normal for your computer. Also if you would post what the kbps is for each process, that could help identify the problem. At least narrow it down a little.

Using a P4 2.8, 768mb Ram it takes about 20-22 minutes for a DVD-5, burning at 4x. For a DVD-9 it takes quite a bit longer depending on the amount I'm compressing w/deep analysis. Approx. 40-90 minutes. Still only takes about 10-13 minutes to burn to a DVD, but the deep analysis will make it run longer on the front end. These numbers are using Shrink and decryptor.

8. elliott

elliott Regular member

using dvd shrink and dvd decrypter or easy creator 7 to burn from and iso created by shrink has been fine no more than 45min per disc. however you should disable screensavers and any other processes that are uneeded to speed up the process defrag before burning and restart that will refresh your ram. you shouldn't try to burn with less than 256 i use 512ram also if you are not running 1.5mhz use seriously need to disable everything but your antivirus and firewall,

9. MarkNZ

MarkNZ Regular member

For a good reference point you good try the full working trial versions of AnyDVD & CloneDVD2.

Here is the link:

http://www.slysoft.com/en/

Good luck

10. blakeas

blakeas Member

just a question about settings - when i go to my primary ide channel, i have Ultra DMA 2, Ultra DMA 1, Ultra DMA 0, Multi-word DMA 2, Multi-word DMA 1, Multi-Word DMA 0, and PIO mode. Should i just keep the Ultra DMA2?

11. jroyal

jroyal Member

is there a way to copy and paste dvd clips that i have savedto my hard drive.