1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Decryptor Hangs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by crimey617, Jan 31, 2005.

1. crimey617

crimey617 Guest

I've been having problems with DVD Decryptor. I'm trying to burn Imaged files and DVD Decryptor seems to be trucking along and then BLAM! It just freezes up and hangs. Sometimes at 13%, 26%, even as high as 96%!!! Any idea how to rectify this problem? I've gotten a firmware update on my drive and used several different brands of media including Phillips, Verbatim, Sony and Fuji. Please help!

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

What are your PC's specs ?

What other proggys are you using ?

What is your target size set at ?

Finally, what discs are you using ?

Burning at what speed ?

3. crimey617

crimey617 Guest

Hey Scuba Pete!

I just printed out a bunch of your guides to take a look at at try to figger out my problem. I have a Dell Dimension 2400 computer with 80GB hard drive and 256K memory. I have a trial version of Nero installed and use DVD Shrink and DVD Decryptor. I have been burning at 6X most times. Should I lower that? I've used Phillips, Sony, Verbatim, Memorex, and Fuji. I get prtty much the same results with all. Sometimes I will use DVD Shrink and DVD Decryptor to burn. DVD Decryptor will got through the writing process AND verify the disc and the backup disc still won't work! Why would DVD D go throught the verify process successfully and the result is still a coaster? Hmmmmmm.....

4. crimey617

crimey617 Guest

Oh yeah...I'm using a NEC 2100AD burner that came with the machine. I updated the firmware from Dell's website

5. T-shot

T-shot Member

Hey crimey are able to play the disc on your computer or are you just trying to play it on your set top player? I can play my discs fine on my computer, but when I play them on my set top machine, I have to "trick" in to realizing it's actually a DVD. For some reason it won't automatically recognize my DVD+/-R's. The way I trick it is by opening and closing during the read cycle. Let me know how you do.

6. EightPaws

EightPaws Member

crimey617, some set top players will only play commercially produced DVD's. Some players will only play +R or -R DVD's and some players play all versions including +RW and -RW. Check your player's documentation to see if there is a restriction on what you can play. Can you play the burned ones on your PC?

7. crimey617

crimey617 Guest

My computer won't recognize the discs either. Most are ok but I find it odd that DVD Decryptor will go through the verifying cycle after burning and tell me it was successful and yet the darn thing still doesn't work!! What's up with that?

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

It must have been a guide I missed. I always tell pple following my guides to Un-check Verify as it causes problems.

Using your NEC - Are you using +R or -R media ? Though NEC has always said it's burners were dual format I never had any luck with -R discs. I use 100% +R media and experience almost a 100% success rate.

As has been brought up many times over in our forums, Too many players over 1 and 1/2 years old won't play many backups while the newer "el Cheapo" standalone players like the Cyber-Home will play a dirty dinner disc and eject it dishwasher clean - Go figure, BUT That's the way of things.

Pete

9. crimey617

crimey617 Guest

I've been using ONLY +R media. I did read your guides last night and made a couple of tweaks to the settings. I burned a copy of I, Robot which I had already ripped so I had the imaged file on my hard drive. I unchecked the Verify box and it worked! I'm going to try to rip and burn some more tonight with the new settings and see what happens. As far as the DVD's not working in players 1 1/2 or more years old, the successful burns work in all of my stand alone players as well as the computers player. The ones that supposedly were "burned successfully" per the software message, if they don't work they don't on either the stand alone player or the computers player. I'll keep truckin' a long and let you know how I make out. Thanks!

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

We're just trying to cover all bases -

Keep us posted, OK ?

Pete

11. crimey617

crimey617 Guest

Ok, I made some changes and I still seem to be having the same problem. I tried to back up The Lost World and the saem thing is happening. I tried to back up the Grudge and whole host of other problems happened which I see by reading onther posts other people are having the same problems with DVD Shrink saying there isn't enough memory so I guess I'll give up on that one! ANyway I'm kind of frustrated since I can't figure out why this is happening since I followed the guides to a T and I still have the same problems. What other programs could possibly interfere with DVD Decryptor, DVD Shrink and Nero?

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi crimey617,

Well let's summarize -

1. Your memory is without a doubt on the low side, 512MB would be much better.

2 . My missing the fact that you're burning an ISO Image has put us on the wrong track. Burning an ISO Image is much harder than burning a VIDEO_TS folder and all the files therein. This is true WHEN we are dealing with different angles and dual movies (wide-screen and full screen) on the same disc.

Having said that, let's look at what we can do that will help. We could free up some more memory by going into msconfig, startup and then choosing "disable all", then click Apply, OK, OK again to reboot. That should turn off a ton of stuff the starts up when you turn on your PC.

Next, let's try burning our backup with Nero - Remember to go to edit, preferences, I/O tab and "ticking" enable burning with Nero.

If you don't have Nero, here's a 30-day full program. -

Nero Ultra Edition Trial - http://www.ahead.de/us/nero6-ultraedition.php

Finally, there's no need to fry your discs at 6X, try 4X instead, it may take a minute longer but it will cut down on a chance of additional coasters.

Let's give all that a try AND needless to say . . . . Don't touch your PC at all, for any reason while it's doing your encoding / burning.

Report back on how it works -

Pete

Consider upping your RAM to 512 - it isn't very expensive anymore and it will make a difference.