1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Decryptro

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by weston325, Oct 20, 2004.

1. weston325

weston325 Member

I usually use DVD shrink and I rarely have any problems with it. Every once in a while DVD Shrink runs into some problem so I use DVD Decryptor to decrypt it and create an ISO file. Whenever I use DVD Decryptor it takes forever! I'm still pretty new at this and I was wondering if there was a setting that i'm missing or if it is just supposed to take a while. Right now its taking about 45 minutes to an hour. Any suggestions???

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Welcome weston325,

It shouldn't take that long. Have you tried uninstalling it then reinstalling it ?

It should be faster than DVD Shrink -

Try that and then get back to me -

Pete

3. weston325

weston325 Member

Thanks-
    I'll try that and see if it works any better. I thought that maybe it took longer because it was making an .iso file and not just decrypting it. Could that be why it takes so much longer than shrink?

4. Blank1

Blank1 Member

Hey guy's,

I am using dvd decrypter, and having an issue. I select the ISO R mode and put the files on my HDD then use DVD shrink to burn it. Trouble I am having is this worked good on most situations but in one it creates 2 IOO files and .IOO and .IO1 and a .MDS file.
    DVD shrink is looking for a file format different from these and won't burn to the DVD. If you watch the decrypter log you get the usual .IFO, .BUP and so forth but when you go to the folder on the HDD it is as I described earlier. Any suggestions.

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there Blank1, welcome to aD,

It sounds like DVD Decrypter "slipped" back to ripping in IFO mode. Recheck your setting and set the Mode, ISO, Read.

Otherwise, tell us the DVD, size etc -

Pete

6. Blank1

Blank1 Member

Sorry for the long drought, Was away on business!

I checked my settings Scubapete and I am in ISO W mode.
    I decided to cancel everything and try again. I re-read your instructions and even printed them out and used it as a check list. The files are continually getting put in my folder but not under a Video_TS. I name the folder the movie and select it as my destination. When all is done I see several files. In this case I am doing the Fast and Furious 2. I get a Fast and Furious.mds, a Fast and Furious.I00 through I04. I have tried putting all these in a folder and naming the folder video_ts and changing the file extension to ISO but nothing seems to work. I get no errors at all in the process it shrinks everything fine and creates the files mentioned above I have reduced the size to 4250 and have all green on the bar so that shouldn't be it. Just can't figure out why if you look in the log file is say's it is putting the shrink file in an ISO format but when you open up the folder they are not. I saw somwhere that you had to burn the .MDS first before trying the other in order to convert them but even that didn't work. I have burned other DVD's and CD's in the past few days so I don't think it is the burner, but when everything is complete you get the music for complete and the successful box appears but the DVD is blank. I know this was long but was trying to share all I could. Any ideas how to proceed?

Thanks
    Blank1

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Blank1,

I was going to have you check a setting in DVD Shrink - edit, preferences then I/O tab then "Un-tick" enable burning with Nero - BUT then I saw that -

I want you to check your ASPI Layer as well as your firmware (I'm thinking it's your ASPI) -

There are some things we should check as they have a direct influence over how our drive behaves -

1. Check for up-to-date Firmware for your burner.

At the bottom of the page look for "What's my firmware? - Try this little tool I found," Download this tool and check out your Firmware's health (up-to-date wise). You can probably get a current upgrade there also -
    http://flashman.rpc-1.com/

Firmware page -
    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

2. Check for your ASPI Layer. If not present, get one and reinstall it, reboot to allow it to "settle in".

ASPI Checker -
    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...oduct/EZ-SCSI_5.0&filekey=aspichk.exe&sess=no

Force 1.8 ASPI Layer -
    http://forceaspi18.w.interia.pl/

If you've found you need an ASPI layer OR would like some additional information about it - here you go -
    http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm

3. Check your Drives transfer mode. It should be DMA-4, not PIO.
    Windows XP downgrades the Ultra DMA transfer mode after receiving more than six CRC errors.

To enable DMA mode using the Device Manager
    1. Open Device Manager
    2. Double-click IDE ATA//ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers and channels.
    3. Right-click the icon for the channel to which your burner is connected and select Properties. Now click the Advanced Settings tab.
    4. In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select DMA if available if the current setting says, "PIO Only."
    If the drop-down box already says, "DMA if Available" but the current transfer
    mode is PIO, then the user must "toggle" the settings. That is, change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and click "OK".
    Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to "DMA if available".

OPTION: Right-click the burner and select "Uninstall" and then "OK" all prompts until the PC reboots. Upon rebooting, the PC should "find" your burner and reinstall it setting it by "Default" to DMA.

Let me know if this helps,

Cheers,

Pete

8. Blank1

Blank1 Member

OK! Read all of this and went to work. I had no ASPI as I was running XP. I ran the checker and sure enough "nada". I then checked on the firmware I was like a minimum of 4 downloads behind. I downloaded the most recent. I rebooted for all to take affect and I ran the check again and it found 2 devices using it and it was version 4.60(1021) for all areas and dated 9-10-99. I went to device manager and checked the DVD burner it is in location 0 it is using DMA if available and the current mode was ultra DMA mode 2. Gonna try and burn one and see what happens. Going to use DVD shrink and burn with decrypter. let you know how it goes :)

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey Blank1,

We've got us a Boo-Boo :(

We have to have your region show in your DVD burner, without anything at all there you'll come up empty especially when you try to play a DVD. With no region code at all, no commerical DVD will be able to be played :(

Back you go and enter your region code and all will be fine in "Whoville" (as the Cat in the Hat would say :D)

NOW, FINALLY all should work - Remember, report back, I'll be waiting -

Cheers,

Pete

10. Blank1

Blank1 Member

Scubapete,

Is the setting for that in DVD decrypter? Is this likely why the log file say's it's working and storing the files as an IS0 and when you open the folder it has 3 files xxxx.I00, xxxx.I01, and xxxx.MDS? I also noticed in other threads that the movies should show up in the folder with 2 folders a video_ts and an audio_ts. Should this happen with decrypter.

Here is a short pull from the log file.

W 03:46:58 I/O Interface has been changed!
    I 03:46:58 Shutting down SPTI...
    I 03:46:58 Initialising ASPI...
    I 03:46:58 WNASPI32.DLL - Adaptec's ASPI Layer - ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL - Version 4.6.0.1021
    I 03:46:58 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
    I 03:46:59 Found 1 CD-RW and 1 DVD1RW!
    I 03:49:38 Operation Started!
    I 03:49:38 Source Device: [0:0:0] LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-812S US0Q (D:) (ATA)
    I 03:49:38 Source Media Type: DVD-ROM
    I 03:49:38 Source Media Region Code: 1
    I 03:49:38 Source Copyright Protection System Type: CSS/CPPM
    I 03:49:38 Destination File: C:\Documents and Settings\Tommy\Desktop\Movies\video_ts\xxx2_US_16x9.ISO
    I 03:49:38 File Splitting: Auto
    I 03:49:38 Detect Mastering Errors: No
    I 03:49:38 Remove Macrovision Protection: Yes
    I 03:49:38 Extracting Sectors... (LBA: 0 - 3979765)
    I 03:49:39 Found IFO File: VIDEO_TS.IFO - (LBA: 427 - 442)
    I 03:49:39 Found VOB File: VIDEO_TS.VOB - (LBA: 443 - 629) - KEY:! N/A
    I 03:49:39 Found BUP File: VIDEO_TS.BUP - (LBA: 630 - 645)
    I 03:49:39 Found IFO File: VTS_01_0.IFO - (LBA: 646 - 654)
    I 03:49:39 Found VOB File: VTS_01_0.VOB - (LBA: 655 - 1225) - KEY: C0 32 84 8B 65
    I 03:49:40 Found VOB File: VTS_01_1.VOB - (LBA: 1226 - 1644) - KEY: C0 32 84 8B 65

It shows the region code as 1 I am assuming based on what you were saying this is for the DVD and the burner should match? The log shows the movie being written to an IS0 file that when you go to the folder isn't there it is replaced as stated above. I'm hanging in but this seems odd!

I will double check the region and try again and let you know :)

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Howdy Blank1,

I re-read your post and I'm sorry, My BAD !

When we told you to put the setting for DVD Decrypter in the -"ISO", "Read" "Mode", we need you to put it into the READ mode spelled with an "R" for the word "Read" .

That would be - MODE, then ISO, then "R".

What we spent time doing we would have had to do anyway. You had to have an ASPI Layer and up-to-date Firmware - so now, you should be all good.

I think your settings were throwing you off and you began reading then mixing 2 guides - that's like trying to mix apples and oranges. Stay with 1 guide, DO NOT MIX GUIDES !

When using DVD Decrepter and ripping in the "File" mode, you'll generate 2 folders - AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS. The AUDIO_TS folder is empty (some proggys need it some don't) but the VIDEO_TS folder contains all kinds of files. This cannbe picked up by Shrink by using "Open Files".

When using DVD Decrepter and ripping in the "ISO," "READ",(that's R) "Mode", you'll generate 2 folders also, one is a .mds file and the other is an .ISO image. This can be picked up by Shrink by going to "File" then "Open Disc Image".

Make sure your pre-made folder is empty before you rip to that folder.

Now you should be in super-duper shape - get back to me on how you made out -

Cheers,

Pete

12. Blank1

Blank1 Member

Will do Pete! NP on my end like ths help :)
    Business carried me away again but I will go over the notes again and try it once again. I thought I chose Mode>ISO>Read but hack who knows I'll keep trying I know we'll get it right. :)

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Blank1,

Iffin your mode was really set at ISO W for ripping your DVD it would explain a lot -

(actually, I don't know how it worked, Lol)

I don't know if you've done this recently BUT you should defrag your Disc on a regular basis -

I do my 3 HD's daily -

Cheers,

Pete

14. Blank1

Blank1 Member

Hey Pete!
    Back now and tried ripping with DVD Decrypter. I put it in the Mode>ISO>Read "R". I get the MDS file but also get 2 other files. One is 2_FAST_2_FURIOUS.I00 @ 4194302KB the other is 2_FAST_2_FURIOUS.I01 @ 4021154KB but no IS0 files what do I do now?

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

You should have three files:

filmtitle.I00
    filmtitle.I01
    filmtitle.MDS

To double-check all is good, mount the MDS file using Daemon Tools and play the MDS file. It should work perfectly.

To pickup your ISO Image select the Mds file.

Cheers,

Pete

16. Blank1

Blank1 Member

Pete,

I do get the 3 file so that is good, I then use the DVD shrink to shrink it to fit on the DVD. I use the File>Open>ISO image and it finds the file.MDS no trouble but when I try and and choose it I get the following error. "Dvd shrink has encountered an error and cannot continue. Failed to open c:/filename.I00.
    The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process"
    DVD shrink is the only thing running on the PC I rebooted and re-opened Only DVD shrink and get the same error. Suggestions?

Blank1

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Blank1,

Since yopu're having trouble with "ISO" in the "R" read mode why not use "Mode", "File" and then you'll get VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders. Let DVD Shrink pickup the files using "Open Files" on the tool bar in the main window. Remember to have "Ignore read errors" "ticked" in "tools", "Settings" - it should operate fine doing that.

Cheers,

Pete

18. forkndave

forkndave Member

The reason you get the xxx.I01 and xxx.I02 files is probably because your hard drive is using FAT32. FAT32 can't support files larger than 4GB and Decrypter will split the .iso file into the other files if it has to. The latest version of Decrypter requires you to select the .mds file even if you have an .iso file. You could convert your hard drive to NTFS and eliminate this. If you want to do this, instructions are here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307881 . It's fairly easy and doesn't take too long. It's faster than a format, anyhow. I converted one of my drives and didn't lose anything. I also picked up a couple of GB of space since the default cluster size in NTFS is 4KB and my FAT32 was 64KB.

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

If you have any doubts about what forkndave has suggested, let's lQQk at FAT32 to NTFS, It’s the right move - It’s upgrading -

Ya have FAT32 and the 4 Gig ceiling is killing you right ? You really want to backup your DVD's but your filing system is putting the "Kabash" on you so far -

Someone has told you, you must change something in OR on your HD and it’s causing you to sweat bullets. It sounds MAJOR. It’s not -

You haven’t made a backup of your HD for a Long, long, really long time and you’re worried that messing with your HD could ruin the world as you know it. - Well one of theses days you really need to backup your PC but for this operation, you’ll be able to squeek by. Ya know, ya really do need to do that backup thingie (lol), but you've never had the time to do it. I understand, really I do and guess what there Alfie, you don't really have to do it now. I haven’t heard of anyone's PC experiencing an atomic melt down, killing their owner with radioactive poisoning or losing even a single file when upgrading FAT32 to NTFS. It’s the right move -

No worries mate, you’re just a little bit behind the times is all -

No trouble converting your HD from FAT32 to NTFS, it’s safe and fast.

Hey, take a second and learn something about it -

This is a good place to start, it compares both file systems and their performance -

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

(Be sure to check the comparison of the 2 at the bottom of the page) -

Ok, feel better ? You’re about to be brought into the light -

This program is called Partition Magic 8 is simple and easy and best of all - you download the trial version so it costs you Nada, Zip, Zilch as in free. (It’s a good thing, right ? Yep, you bet.)

http://www.soft32.com/download_151.html

Ya feel better working in the Command window - No worries either, Check Herbsman (a MOD) away back when he was just a member, he will give you the “Skinny” right here -

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/81003

OK, you should be set.

Any questions, stop back and we’ll try to help :p)

Cheers,

Pete

20. OU812Ono

OU812Ono Regular member

Hey guys, long time reader, first time poster. I have a multi-part question, but I beleive it covers all topics in this thread.

First off: I have an external HDD thats FAT32, I want to convert it using the guide in this thread, do I use the drive letter that it shows up as in control panel? It's connected through usb 2.0 "not sure if it matters" and shows up as k:/. I'm just making sure this is kosher as this has all my home movies and such, just dont want to lose it/have to transfer it all back to main HDD.

Second, do I need to use Partition Magic on it, since it's solely for storage of larger files to keep everything running faster on PC I figure not, but just curious if there's pro's/con's.

Finally, I've been ripping my dvd's with DVD Decryptor to file mode on HDD, then DVD Shrink to get 'em down to size, and burning with nero 6.3.1.17. Could I get away with ripping with Decrpyter Mode-Iso-Read. That should leave me with a file that could be shrunk/burned, as well as mounted on a virtual drive to watch on PC.
    Sorry if this post is violates any rules, it's my first ever anywhere.

B.T.W. Thanks for all the great help you guys give, I've gone from coaster-king to over 50 back-ups without a single Snafu. You Guys ROCK!!!!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2004