1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD + disc problem

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ElStBlues, May 13, 2007.

1. ElStBlues

ElStBlues Member

I bought an LG 18x Super Multi DVD Rewriter the other week for some basic copying. I've been putting a few tv programmes to disc.

Everything has been working fine with - discs, but I picked up a few discs today that are + discs and they won't play on my pc. They do however, work on my dvd player.

I was also tried to copy a + disc using nero and got an error message "Cannot copy this disc to DVD".

Any reason why the drive doesn't like + discs when it should like all dvd formats?

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Make sure your firmware is up to date...could be that the firmware is just out of date and doesn't recognize the new +R media.

3. ElStBlues

ElStBlues Member

How do you do that please?

4. surfbunny

surfbunny Member

Hi, im new to this whole forum thing so bare with. My problem is this, i have a Philips 8801 DVD burner and im having problems burning dvds and getting them to play on my DVD player (Panasonic S1). Now i know its not the brand/kind of dvd because back when the burner was working i used the same disc then as im trying to use now, but when i put it in the DVD player it just spins and spins and actually locks up the DVD player to where i have to unplug it. I tried to look for firmware (if thats the problem) for my DVD Burner, but i keep getting messages that there is no firmware for this burner? What kind i do to try and fix this, it was working at one point, it should work again.

Thanks

5. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@surfbunny.... do you usually interrupt a conversation to suit your own needs? by you asking your question embedded into a thread that is trying to help the original member with his/her problem is called HIGHJACKING THE THREAD. This is not only rude but also against forum rules. If you have a question that you need help with..... then please ask your question in a thread that you start, not embedded into someone else's thread. I know you're a newbie but come on.... the person is trying to get help for his/her problem and you're trying to take control of his/her thread! I'm sorry if this is coming out strongly ... I know I can get that way..... but understand it's kind of annoying to members who are trying to help out and then get mixed up who they are helping out in one thread. but have not fear..... I'll try to answer both questions at the same time......

there are plenty of reasons why certain dvds won't play in other players:

1. burning speeds: burn at 4x so there will be less writing errors (rule of thumb is to burn at half the rated speed of the disk--8X disk burn at 4x).
    2. read manual for your stand alone player and use the disks that will play in your player. If your player is less than 2 yrs old then it should play the + or - R disks! I said SHOULD that's why you read the manual.
    3. try booktyping your drive to DVd-ROM so it will make your +R disks more compatible to players. Read this:
    http://k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
    4. make sure that there are no finger prints or scratches on your disk that make it hard for the player to read the disk!
    5. use good quality media (rule of thumb....buy the ones that are Made in Japan.) Verbatim is a top notch disk and is the only exception to this rule....some Verbatims are made in Taiwan and they are top notch!
    6. and don't burn too close to the outer edge of the disk ..... which will make the disk unreadable! but using good media you will be able to burn close to the edge better than lesser quality media. Just in case I only burn no closer than 4400MB, so if you can set your programs to that, all the better!

Firmware is programming that is inserted into a programmable memory area of your drive, thus becoming a permanent part of a drive. This 'software' is called firmware and can be updated with a firmware flasher. A firmware upgrade can add new functionality to your drive. Also bug fixes and improvements are done by firmware upgrades. It also adds more media codes and write strategies to the drive to improve burning capabilities and disk recognition. Doing a firmware upgrade should only improve your drive .... not hinder the drive or hurt the drive, unless you did something wrong with the installation of the firmware or tried to upgrade to the wrong firmware for that drive!

download DVDDecrypter: http://fileforum.betanews.com/download/DVD_Decrypter/1011845169/1
    to find out if your drive needs a firmware update follow this:
    [​IMG]
    this program will show you what your firmware is for your burner.... and then it will send you to the Firmware Page where it will show you the current and most recent firmware that your drive has. If the firmware shown is more recent than what you have then download the update and install it. when you double click on the update it will or should automatically recognize your drive and all you'll have to do is hit is the button to install. Some firmware flashers (the firmware update) will show you all your drives on your computer and you'll have to highlight it and then hit the button to install the update. it's that easy.

If you go to the website and don't see your drive you will have to do a search on your computer manufacturer's website or the maker of your burner to see if there is a new firmware update for your drive. Go to the DOWNLOAD DRIVERS on the appropriate website and do a search for your drive! If there is still no luck in finding a firmware update for your drive then know that you have the most recent firmware that your drive can have.

I hope I answered your questions.

Oh, one more thing, ElStBlues..... if you are using an RW disk and you haven't erased it or formated it you can get an error message from Nero like "Cannot copy to this Disk without erasing" which will lose all data that is on that disk. Also if you are trying to copy a store bought disk you will get "Cannot copy this disc to DVD" because it's encrypted and you'll need a program like AnyDVD to break the encryptions... Nero won't directly copy a store bought DVD without some help with the encryptions that inhibit copying!

6. ElStBlues

ElStBlues Member

IHoe, thank you very much for your detailed reply.

I'll follow this through tonight when I get home from work, I've already got DVD Decrypter on my PC so hopefully it shouldn't take too long.

Thanks again.

7. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

yw...... and welcome to Afterdawn.