1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-DL available yet ??

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by MBPiglet, Jan 14, 2005.

1. MBPiglet

MBPiglet Member

Hi Guys

In the UK, have they brought out DVD-DL yet. Ive seen in PC World that they have DVD writers that can write to DVD+DL, but im waiting until the - format comes out ??
    Its about time we had dual layer,dual format.

Cheers

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

*moved from dvd-r newbies*

Have you even checked out any online media stores?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  3. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

Hello MBPiglet, Dual Layer discs have been available for quite some time, here is a link to some from meritline

http://meritline.com/dvd-r-double-dual-layer-dvdplusr-dl.html

Be wary, unless you are absolutely confident in your burning skills, experimenting with dual layer DVD media can be quite expensive. They go for about $10 per DVD and are obviously not the most cost efficient way to go. That being said, I have successfully burned two dual layer DVD's from a 3 pack of Verbatim. They came out fine but I would still love to see the price come down to a reasonable figure. Cheers.

4. sakmd

sakmd Member

hHi MBPiglet....

You typed both DVD-DL and DVD+DL. Are you asking if DVD-R DL media is out or available?

I'm not aware of DVD-R DL media being available, as i've only seen places selling the +R format, which has been out for a while, as CG_Gurl mentioned.

I have purchased some DVD+R DL as well. I purchased some made by Verbatim off of eBay for about $8.75 a pop. Prices being what they are, I've been very selective as to which movies I have burned to the DL media. I've used four so far, and they've done well. I don't think that prices will come down that much anytime soon, esp to a level that makes them more attractive than the standard size dvd. Verabtim is scheduled to release an 8x DL +R later this year, and perhaps at this time prices of the currents ones may drop. But again, I don't see it as any drastic reduction.

Another downside for me with the DL discs is that inkjet printable ones aren't available. If they are, I haven't been able to find them. And I'd rather not stick a label on these b/c if the label ends up causing a problem for the disc, then you're stuck w/ an expensive coaster. I just purchsed an Epson R200 printer, and TY white printable discs, and have been more pleased with the results. So for now, that's what I'll be sticking to.

Hope this helps!

sakmd