1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD doesen't work every time?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by tashacat, Dec 28, 2004.

1. tashacat

tashacat Regular member

I use the Decrypter, Shrink and Sonic Record Now.
    One time I get a movie that works on my Panasonic DVD DMR-E80 player recorder and the next time it shows 600 and can't read the movie. In the shrink I Deep Analyze the entire movie and back it up and then I re-author it and back it up again under a different folder name and then I copy it.
    Any suggestion as to why my DVD player will not read it every time?
    Thanks

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

That panasonic stand alone does not like your media. Here is a few simple things to try.I have no info on what media you are using and how fast you are burning.

Slow down the burn speed.

Try a high quality media like maxell,tdk, or fuji.preferably something made in japan.

Check your target setting in dvd shrink. Edit,preferences,custom target size to 4300 mbs.

Poor media can do a number on dvd burning, the stand alone/s players magnify the problems.Every laser has a little bit of variation. If your pc plays the backs up ok,but the stand alone doesn't, It just might need a media change. Whether it is the speed reduction or switch, the player doesn't like that disc.Since it does play some of them, changing these items should help. Good luck

3. tashacat

tashacat Regular member

Thanks for the tip Saugmon.
    I have been using Ritek media.
    It really gets to be frustrating. First I think I have it solved and then a boo boo.
    What media do you use?

4. tashacat

tashacat Regular member

Thanks for the tip saugmon, I am using Maxwell. I have copied 5 movies and it worked flawlessly every time. In between I used some of my old Ritek media and it was a hit and miss proposition.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey tashcat, I use just about every thing in my burner. I mostly have verbatim +4x and +8x. All my verbs are mcc and ricohjpn manufacturered. Verbatim is also made by cmagnetics,but luckily haven't ran into any of them yet.It sounds like your panasonic did not like those ritek's.Were they g03,g04,g05 ? I haven't tried them yet,but hear of a few problems.

I also like to try out other,on sale name brands like sony and maxell's.

Now if I buy them at a store,if they don't say made in japan, i will be skeptical on them. Taiwan are maybe's,any where else-definitely not.

That's the hard part of buying media,you don't know who the heck made them until you open them up and run them through http://dvdinfopro.com

Here is a site,not updated for a while though,but you can check those code #'s for their rankings. http://digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm These 2 links will get you close in the ballpark.
    Happy new year!

6. tashacat

tashacat Regular member

saugmon, thanks again for all of the info.

My Ritek DVD's are G-04. I just ordered 100 of them, ugh! I guess that I will just use them up as some work on my DVD player and some don't. I just bought a 15 pack of Maxwell at Wal-Mart for $9.95. I haven't seen anything must better as far as price on the net.

I downloaded the http://dvdinfopro.com and it is now on my computer. What do I specifically look for in the program?

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey tashacat, just insert a blank disc,open up dvdinfopro icon on desktop, you get a small pop up,hit ok to get rid of popup, you will see a tool bar on top. Look at 2nd icon from top left-media,click on that media icon. This pulls up a window to find media code/manufacture Id. It should say something like mxl-rg01,mcc002,mcc003,ricohjpn,cmagss etc.

Jot down the code and look them up on digitalfaq website i listed in my last post. This will tell you how those rank. It hasn't been updated for a while but will get you close. Stick with 1st and 2nd rate media. Stay away from the others,especially 3rd and 4th. It gives you an estimate for burn rate successes,but The top 2 levels should be ok, Don't let the success rate scare you.