1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD drive completly missing from system

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Matt47, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Matt47

Matt47 Member

hi
    sorry if i put this in the wrong place but i am new here
    i was wondering if someone could help me with a problem i have
    i have recently installed Vista x64
    when i had finished my dvd drive was no where to be found not in device manager not in the bios not anywhere i know it is not vista because i installed it as a dual boot alongside xp and it don't show up on xp either.Vista is working fine except for the DVD drive
    if i do a cold boot my dvd drive will show up until i try to use it and then the whole system freezes and i have to restart then it is gone again.
    i am not totally sure why this is happening but when i got my pc last year i had to re-install windows and this happened to it then as well(with xp)so i don't think it has anything to do with the OS or hardware(possibly)i have tried to install the latest drivers and firm ware with out success
    i actually tried the dvd drvie on another pc and it works fine and it is not the sata cable that works fine as well anyway i think i have said it all
    my dvd drive is a pioneer not exactly sure how the model i can't check because it isn't showing up lol i will post back the number when i can check the actual drive

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum as not a hd dvd issue.