1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD drive doesnt recognize DVDs properly

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by pldavis, Jan 14, 2007.

1. pldavis

pldavis Member

Hi all,
    I just got a Toshiba TS-L532U-GA03 combo drive for my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. After installing it I put in a blank DVD and noticed that Windows recognizes it as a CD-R not a DVD-R or DVD-RW. I tried to use Nero to burn and it does burn, but when I try putting the burned disc in another computer I get a message saying this DVD format is not recognized and if I reinsert the DVD back into my laptop it will recognize it as a blank CD-R (not a written DVD). Although the DVD drive does read DVD movies and DVD's that were burned from another computer, it just recognizes blank DVDs and written DVD's (that were burned from my laptop) as a blank CD-R's. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the firmware with no success. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Hello.

This is normal. WinXP recognizes blank DVDs as CDs as there is no native support for DVDs in WinXP. That is why 3rd party software is necessary for burning DVDs. Windows has native software for burning CDs but not DVDs.

Are you sure the blank DVD was actually burned by Nero? Can you see the burned area on the back of the disk?

What did you burn onto the blank disk? A movie, data? At what speed did you attempt to write the disk. What speed of media are you using? Do you know the manufactuer ID for the disk you used?

Something seems definitely wrong if the drive that burned the disk cannot read it. There are reasons why a burned disk may not be readable on other drives.

Is this your first attempt at burning DVDs?