1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Drive Failing , Inferior Media, or Both?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by larkahn, Nov 6, 2004.

1. larkahn

larkahn Member

I have a Compaq Evo Notebook with a DVD-ROM drive and an external USB 2.0 TDK 8x DVD-R,DVD+R, DVD RW writer. Here is what has happened. Using Verbatim 1x-4x DVD-R disks to copy some movies, I find that while the movies seem to be read ok by my notebook drive, they are consistently freezing up. They play fine in the DVD writer. Using more expensive 8x DVD-R media (also by Verbatim), there is no problem with my notebook DVD-ROM playing the movies. My notebook DVD-ROM has gotten heavy use for 1.5-2 years. Is this an indication of wear and tear (aging), inferior media, or possibly both?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
  2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

larkahn,
    Freezing and pixelating are usually an indication of a problem with your media. Try some burns at 2x as this will sometimes help. If I understand correctly, your saying they play ok on the drive that burned the backups but not not other dvd-roms. Use this proggy to see who actually manufactured your media and let me know. http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

3. larkahn

larkahn Member

You are correct -- my DVD writer reads and plays the discs with no problems. Thanks for the DVD Indentifier link. Since I was under the impression that the MCC was a reliable brand, would this indicate my initial feelings that my original DVD-ROM drive is what the problem may be? Here's the information on my media:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:MCC 01RG20 ]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Manufacturer ID : [MCC 01RG20 ]
    Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
    Disc Application Code : [Unrestricted Use : Consumer Purpose]
    Recording Speeds : [1x , 2x , 4x] (8x Cannot Be Detected)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
  4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

MCC is 1st class media. May be a compatability problem or you might be right. Try your backups in some other dvd-roms and stand-alone dvd players. Like you said MCC is pretty reliable media and I doubt it is responsible for your problem. Good luck.

5. larkahn

larkahn Member

Thanks for your thoughts.

6. mparter

mparter Member

mmm, I'ver been using Verbatim DVD-R's for months now with no problems (MCC dye also). Lately however, I too have had some pixellation. Somebody did state that it could be because of complex authoring of the source.