1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Drive making odd humming noises, no boot

Discussion in 'PS2' started by DJ_Yuz, Oct 14, 2004.

1. DJ_Yuz

DJ_Yuz Member

Since this afternoon, my PS2 of 3 years (modded with Messiah 2) started making an odd, choppy noise as if the drive was straining really hard. I managed to play a few games, but tonight I tried again, and it just keeps humming and clicking; nothing seems to boot. It doesn't even give me the red screen of death; it just stays at the browser forever.

Is my PS2 finally crapping out? It doesn't seem viable to buy another one this late in it's lifecycle, so I'm hoping no.

EDIT: Oh yeah, also, all the physical functions of the PS2 seem to be slowed down o_O For instance, when holding down the reset button to go into standby, it takes around 3-4 secs now as opposed to the 1 second I've been used to all these years. The tray only opens 4-5 secs after the button is pushed, etc. etc.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  2. nitsua09

nitsua09 Member

Hey I have the same problem too. Does anybody have an idea on what the problem is?

3. DJ_Yuz

DJ_Yuz Member

Update, just tested with legit USA PS2 + PSX games and DVD. Still no dice. At least I now know that it's not the modchip's fault.

Still, anyone offer any help?