1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd drive not playing movies

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by crollinsphoto, Aug 5, 2014.

1. crollinsphoto

crollinsphoto Newbie

My HP laptop will not play any dvd movies. It will do just fine on data dvds and blank dvd's but dvd movies, the drive just grinds away and tells me to insert a disc when there is one in it. I downloaded the most recent codecs for media player. Installed cyberlink power dvd, installed vlc, all with no avail. I didn't think any of those would work since the drive does not even recognize there is a disc in it to play, it just grinds away. Is the only solution a new drive? It plays audio cd's just fine also.
    I tried the Microsoft fixit and the registry entries on filters, etc. Still does not work.

2. aldan

aldan Active member

what are your laptop specs,particularly the dvd drive?what media are you using dvd-r or dvd+r? media can make a big difference in the playability of movie files.

3. attar

attar Senior member

Not even commercial movie disks?

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

device manager will tell you what dvd drive is installed,it's under administrative tools or the software speccy,there's another popular software that does the same in listing stuff but can't recall its name

a solution if a new drive is required is external or grab a spare dvd from a desktop pc if you have one & install it to an external housing or use a usb adapter

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

6. crollinsphoto

crollinsphoto Newbie

I have an HP G71 449WM laptop, yes not even commercial dvd's will be recognized. ONLY data dvd's are recognized and work perfectly. I only use dvd -r's. This has only started about a month ago. I have already ordered a replacement drive. Hopefully that is all it will take. Now to figure out how to do the replacement. Looks like I have to take off the entire bottom of the laptop, there are no compartments :(

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

there is 1 screw on bottom of laptop that holds the drive in. take a cd case & lay it on the laptop which is upside down over the dvd drive. at the center of the edge of the cd case you'll see the dvd screw. it is a phillips screw. after the screw is remove the pull the drive straight out.

8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member