1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd Drive not recognizing DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ILHS86, Mar 28, 2005.

1. ILHS86

ILHS86 Regular member

Using Dvd Shrink, I put DVD in and clicked open disk, well, it is showing "no disc", so I closed that and went and opened Dvd Express - I open program put dvd in, and wait & wait for the green light, Nothing. I thought it was maybe drive, so I tried several different ones, they worked perfect, the movie is Children of the corn IV, (for my King collection), what is wrong.

2. vike

vike Member

Try using DVDecrypter.

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

The disk is dirty, scratched, smudged or damaged in some way that your DVD ROM can't read it. Try cleaning it really good or aquire another copy.

4. fizik

fizik Member

I'm having the same problem. My DVD drives won't read ANY DVD. Therefore it's not a problem with the DVD, it's gotta be a problem with my burners or some software is missing. Tech support at Dell tried to help me but the guy kept trying to tell me it was a problem with my DVD even though I had told him that they didn't play any DVD... What is the problem?

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

fizik,

What is your Operating system? And what SP?
    What burning programs do you have installed?
    Can you physically see your drives in My Computer? or in the device manager?

6. fizik

fizik Member

bbmayo...

My comp is a Dell 4550.
    OS is XP home.
    I have SP2 and all current updates.
    I have DVD X Copy, Roxio Easy CD creater 5 basic and Windows Media 10.
    Both drives can be physically seen in my computer and in the device manager.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Do you mean you cant physically watch a original DVD on your PC? Do you have any DVD playing software on your computer like WinDVD or Power DVD. You must have a software that allows you to play DVD's on your computer. If you dont have one here is a free one http://www.cliprex.com/

8. fizik

fizik Member

Actually, I can't watch any DVD media, original, backups, burned, etc. CD audio and CD-ROMs work just fine. When I could play DVDs, I used Windows Media Player. I have PowerDVD as well and could play DVDs on that program also. Neither program says there's a disk in the drive though when I do insert a DVD. Now my DVD-ROM drive stopped reading DVDs shortly before I downloaded SP2 and then the DVD+RW drive stopped reading DVDs about a month or so after downloading SP2. I also have an updated McAfee Virus scan and performed a scan about 2 or 3 weeks ago. It didn't find anything. Another thing, I defrag and clean the disk at least once a week, and I've run scan disk/error checking(having it fix any errors) a few times after both drives stopped reading DVDs.

9. fizik

fizik Member

I want to add something else. I have called Dell, they weren't much help. I kept trying to explain to the guy that no DVD media would work, but he kept telling me that it was my DVD disc that was bad. He said the drives were fine.