1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD drive pops out

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by berz26, Feb 18, 2007.

1. berz26

berz26 Member

I was wondering if someone cold help me. I have a gateway mx6124 laptop computer with a dvd recorder drive. It was working fine and I copy a lot of movies. Two days ago the drive door started to pop out on start up and now it will pop open whenever it wants to. It will also start to try to read a disc when there is no disc in the drive. Im not sure if I need a new one the computer does rec the drive and it will still burn most of the time but not always. Thanks.

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi berz26
    Check Gateway site for updates on this laptop. Got something wacky going on here with the drive popping open on start up.
    Gateway may be aware of these issues and have fixes them.
    You might have a few things going on here.

Check the updates 1st and see how that goes.

Still doesn't help try uninstalling the ide channel in device manager.
    Right clikc on 'my computer' pick properties>hardware>device manager.

The ide channel will be listed under ata/atapi controllers. I'm thinking this will be on the secondary channel. Some though put the hard drive and burner on the primary channel so you may not have a secondary.

Right click on the ide channel to uninstall then pick uninstall. Reboot and let windows do it's thing and reinstall.

The not burning sometimes could be the brand of discs you're using. Use good stuff like Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden or made in japan Sony, Maxell or Fuji.
    Gateway may also have a firmware up for this drive too which may help.