1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Drive Problem.

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by donks007, Jan 28, 2005.

1. donks007

donks007 Member

Hello All,
    I have a problem. I have 2 DVD burners in my PC an LG RAM drive and a non branded DVD-RW. Recently, I have not been able to burn a CD on the DVD-RAM drive. It has had a lot of use and is probably worn out. This isnt the problem however. I wish to switch my drives over. But My PC wont play ball. I even tried to put a CD RW in instead of second drive but it just recognises it as D drive. I even tried one drive stand alone and it still comes up as E drive. I have changed all the jumper pins from slave to master and master to slave and cable settings. I tried changing the drive letter with MANAGE in my computer, but whatever i do, the Unbranded drive is always recognised as and behaves as E drive. I am told that WIN XP recognises the drive by serial number. Therefore, short of re-formatting my hard drive with the dvd drives the other way around or buying a new dvd burner, I am at a loss as to overcome this problem. Ideally, I would like to bin the RAM drive, fit a CD-RW as E and run the unbranded DVD as D drive. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me or even a hint in the right direction would be welcome. I run an AMD 2800 Athlon on a ASrock K7S8X mobo with 1 Gig of RAM and 120 Gig HD with windows XP installed with SP2.
    All Help Appreciated
    Donks007

2. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

All you are concerned about here is the drive letter assigned to it? Why?

And you've tried to change it through the management console ("manage")? Can you be more specific about the steps you took, and the results?

3. donks007

donks007 Member

Hiya, thanks for your reply, I am not really concerned with the drive letter, but as I have dual burners installed, the D drive only works with DVDs and the E drive will only play DVDs. if I try to burn on E, the write speed is about 75kbps due to restriction on the IDE channel. Thus, at the moment, I cant burn a VCD as it corrupts even when burned at 4X. So, the solution, I thought would be to switch drives and then I would have a good D drive that will burn both CDs and dvds. I have even put a CDRW in as E and the burner as D but when I booted up, it recognised the CDRW as D and the Burner as E.
    Basically, i need a DVD drive that works in D drive position. I Have tried to re-assign the drive letter to force xp to accept it as D drive. What I dont understand is - When fitted as stand alone with jumper set to Master and plugged in to D postion. How the hell can XP pick it up as E drive and indeed burn slowly. the Bios settings are OK and indeed the Bios picks up the drives correctly. In the mean time, I am going to strip the DVD ram drive and clean the lense and lubricate the tracking bars. The original error on CDs was focus or tracking error.
    Cheers
    Donks

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Have you checked to see if the IDE controllers are in DMA mode and not PIO? I would go into your Device manager, remove all the burner drives and IDE controller channels and then re-boot. See if Windows re-installs them properly as it should. Just a suggestion.

Jerry

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005