1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD drive problems

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by andsteele, Apr 15, 2007.

1. andsteele

andsteele Member

I have a problem with my dvd drive, wondering if anyone out there can help. My dvd drive reads/writes cd's fine. It writes dvds and even reads off dvd disks (games, data etc) but when I put a dvd movie in it, it just does nothing and clicks now and then. It worked fine when I got it, but now it keeps doing this.

Oh just remembered, a few months ago, i got some paper stuck in the drive. It was a small piece that had the cd key on for a program. It stayed in there a while still working lol, untill one day it fell out and was on top of a cd when ejected. The thing is though, it reads dvd disks so I know that can't have damaged it, but just mentioning it just in case.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry about any spelling mistakes

2. lbucci

lbucci Member

It sound like your mechanism (open and closing Try) has more paper stuck in it. Get it serviced or do it your self. It’s out of alignment.

The other issue I've seen is that there are CDs or DVDs that have white paper on them, actually stuck to the media and unnoticed by people. They insert the DVD with the paper, the laser hits the shiny white paper and bounces back to the laser. That DVD will not burn anymore, it reads and plays movies, but won't burn. But I don't believe that this is your problem.

3. andsteele

andsteele Member

Thanks, but why is it reading dvd's? And even writing dvd movies! Shouldn't it be able to play them? Also, I am quite sure I have been playing dvd's since then (not 100% sure :O)

4. andsteele

andsteele Member

I opened up the drive to see if there was anything in there. There wasn't. I put it back together, and it works! I didn't do a thing and now it reads dvd movies.

Thanks
    cya