1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD drive region?

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by k2hd, Sep 21, 2007.

1. k2hd

k2hd Member

Hey all, new here and was wondering if you could help me. I just heard of the dvd shrink program and decided to try it out. When i clicked on "open disc" and selected the dvd drive, a message came up asking me to choose which dvd region my drive was and that i could change it a maximum of 5 times. If i did not select a region, dvd shrink could not continue. So my question is what is the point of the dvd region thing? I tried playing this particular dvd on windows media player and GOM media player. Both did not work so i assumed it was again because i had not chosen a region, but then i tried nero showtime and it worked. Does this mean that all dvds of any region will work with nero showtime? Since i was not sure of this i have not chosen a region yet until i get some help. Is there any way of using dvd shrink without setting a region?. sorry if this is in the wrong forum but i thought it had more to do with the dvd drive than dvd shrink. THanks

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  2. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Information on where the DVD regions are can be found here. I use dvd shrink and it never asked me anything about regions. More than likely the DVD will be set to the region of what country you bought it in right out of the box.

Regions are set up to keep people from buying a movie in one part of the world and takeing it home to another country. Forceing you to possibly spend more for the movie. Normaly a PC wont care what region the disk is and will play it.

-Del