1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Drive seen as cd drive after fw upgrade (sony dwu14a to dru510a)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Twiggy8, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Twiggy8

Twiggy8 Guest

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I recently did the firmware upgrade from dwu14a to dru510a and now the drive is not functioning as before.
    I was burning dvd+r with clonedvd/anydvd without incident, now my drive is showing in control panel as a cdrom drive, will detect a blank dvd-r, but will only detect dvd+r already written too.

All the forums read about the firmware seem to suggests this was a positive move, but seems something is not as it should be.

I've seen alot about the dma settings and atapi controller stuff, but not sure any of that would help this particular problem.

Any help available i would appreciate it.
    Thanks

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

This is exactly what can happen when flashing to a Firmware that is not intended to be used with your burner. I preach this and preach this on here but people still wanna do it?
    Your only option to possible fix this is to download the correct firmware for your drive and re-flash the drive. I really hope this fixes your drive, but if it dosent I am afraid you probably rendered your drive useless. Of course if you want to buy a new drive and need a good excuse for your spouse to get one then this may not be such a bad thing ;-)

3. Twiggy8

Twiggy8 Guest

I totally agree....I would leave the firmware updates to an absolute professional. I learned the hardway!

But in my defense...the website for the manufacturer of the drive...states that this is the correct firmware for this drive! So, that being the case, the drive should work properly?