1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Drive will not acknowledge disc

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by done4it, Jul 10, 2007.

1. done4it

done4it Member

I have personally copied a large amount of movies but I have never come across this problem before. Even though the DVD plays perfect in my home theatre when I insert it in my DVD drive my PC refuses to acknowledge it's presence. No matter which program I try to use it tells me to insert a disc, nothing in MY COMPUTER either. Any ideas?

2. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2007
  3. JVC

JVC Active member

Also try this:
    Go into your Device Manager, and find your drive. Right click on it, and choose "Uninstall". After it uninstalls, reboot, and let Windows detect new hardware, and install new a driver for you.
    Good luck!

4. done4it

done4it Member

I don't have a problem with my drive, it shows up on my system and all other DVD's also show up and work fine except this particular one. Is it possible that someone put some sort of lock or something on this disc?

5. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

is it possible that you didn't finalize your disk? and what disk did you burn to and what program did you use to burn? If the program you are trying to use doesn't recognize your disk it could very well be that you didn't finalize your disk so the program won't play the disk. Some DVD players don't have problems with finalizing so they just see the DVD compliant files and plays! but if the disk isn't finalized then some programs won't even recognize the disk. If you have DVDDecrypter you can finalize your disk like this:
    [​IMG]
    try that and see!

6. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

is it a burned DVD?
    OR
    a commercial DVD?

sometimes my dvd-rom will not recognize a burned disk, however when i put that disk in my dvd burner it does recognize the disk.

7. done4it

done4it Member

Actually, it's a commercial disc, not a burned one. One thing though,even though I bought it on ebay from a U.S. seller I believe it originated in Asia because it had Chinese writing on the back of the wrapper.

8. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

try installing anydvd to make the disc region free then your drive should read it

9. eagledad

eagledad Member

I hate to jump in on someone elses situation but I have a problem with my burn process. I use dvd shrink to copy to my hard drive and nero6 to burn to dvd+r. I play the movie in my dvd player and it works fine but when i take the movie to my daughters dvd player it will not read it. I know that her dvd player will play dvd+r because someone gave me a burnt copy of shrek on a dvd+r. His software is 321studios. should I start using a different brand of dvd's. Please help because my daughter is messing up my bought movies and some of them you can't find.

10. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

eagledad, next time start a new thread please

try booktyping the DVD+R to DVD-ROM and it should playback fine

burn at a slower speed, no faster than 8x even try 4x

make sure your firmware is up to date on your drive burner

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

try using the DVD dash R format instead of the DVD plus R

and using Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim that will increase your chances of better playback

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2007