1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd drive wont read cd's any more

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by kenny543, Nov 14, 2002.

1. kenny543

kenny543 Guest

hi all,

i have a sony and it came with a dvd player built in. It use to play dvd's all the time but now when u put in a dvd or any cd it does read that there is anything in the drive at all. does anyone know why this is? maybe a setting got messed up accidently. i would appreciate any suggestions anyone has.
    Thank You
    KENNY

2. bowieboot

bowieboot Guest

Think you need a new Drive

3. kenny543

kenny543 Guest

Could the drive go bad after only a year of using it? It will open and close and once the cd is in, the computer will light up like it is trying to read it but then it stops. It says insert disk into drive.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2002
  4. Stealth

Stealth Member

Do you leave your PC on all day and night?
    I had a similar problem with mine.
    Mine didn't read any data CDs,only DVD movies.
    I used it alot and also left my PC on all night.It might be a power problem.

5. gtost

gtost Guest

I also have this problem. I discovered (by opening the DVD player) that the laser that reads it had moved outside the edge of the disc. Don't know why. I manually moved it back to the inner most edge of the disc and it recovered. It has, however continued to occassionally do this. Don't know why, but at least I can work around it.

6. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

I fixed the exact same problem like this.

Uninstalled my dvd drive and re-installed it. It still would only read cds for a few mins so i played a dvd in it for about 30 seconds and it worked. And thats all i had to do after months of going mad over it!