1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD drive won't recognize DVD+R's anymore

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by rp1586, Oct 8, 2007.

1. rp1586

rp1586 Member

I recently reformated my computer and now my DVD drive won't recognize DVD+R's, although it does fine on DVD-R's. Any reason why and how to fix it? I have a HP Pavilion dv1540us, Windows XP SP2, and DVD Drive TS-L532M. Let me know if you need more info to help, thanks in advance.

2. JVC

JVC Active member

Have you tried reinstalling the drive? If not, try this:
    Go into your Device Manager, and find your drive. Right click on it, and choose "Uninstall". After it uninstalls, reboot, and let Windows detect new hardware, and install new a driver for you.
    Good luck!

3. rp1586

rp1586 Member

Yep, I've uninstalled the drive, even took the whole drive out of the computer. I've also installed the newest version of my bios. I read on Microsoft's website that this problem can happen to Windows XP SP1, but I have SP2 and can't uninstall SP2 and reinstall. Any other thoughts?

4. JVC

JVC Active member

Only other suggestion I have is to see if there's a firmware update for your drive. The drive's firmware is what makes it recognize different kinds of media.

5. RailAce

RailAce Guest

One thing you might try is to unplug the ribbon cable from the motherboard and reboot. Shut down, reinstall the ribbon attached to the drive and reboot. Maybe having the BIOS recognize the hardware first, and then the OS might make a difference.
    Definately check the firmware updates.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2007