1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD DRIVEJUST WONT WORK

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by skyline, Jul 13, 2007.

1. skyline

skyline Regular member

well one day my dvd drive just stopped working so i returned it to new egg and got another one, i now have a LITE-ON burner first day that i got the mail i opened the box carefully, wired my dvd drive, and it showed up in the BIOS but not in XP, Device manager, or My Computer. Please help me i have no idea what is wrong with it. Also my dvd drive is Master. In the pictures below you can clearly see what I am talking about.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. skyline

skyline Regular member

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

First, unplug the DVD drive Ide cable, from the motherboard, and plug the hard drive Ide cable into the motherboard where you had the DVD drive plugged in. Don't plug in the DVD drive.

See if your computer will boot up. If it does, shut down, and plug the DVD drive to the motherboard, where the hard drive was originally plugged in, and try to reboot again.

4. skyline

skyline Regular member

i already tried that like 3 times but it wont work

5. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

When you swithched the hard drive to where the DVD drive was originally plugged in, did the computer boot up? If not, there is a problem with motherboard.

Do you have the DVD drive jumpered as master?

6. skyline

skyline Regular member

yes it did boot up, but i was wondering if there is a problem with my windows XP

7. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Make sure that the DVD drive is jumpered properly, but here is something else to try, just to see if the DVD drive is faulty:

Jumper the DVD drive as slave, and connect it to the second connection on the same ribbon cable that the hard drive is on. If your computer boots up, and XP recognizes the drive is there, then something else is wrong.

Also, if you have a spare power connector, in your computer, unplug the one that you have connected, and try the spare.

8. skyline

skyline Regular member

i will try that but i the problem is that only the BIOS recognizes it and it is not recognized anywehre in XP, not in my computer, not device manager, nowhere

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I will repeate what GrandpaPW has already said several times.

Make sure that the DVD drive is jumpered properly

10. skyline

skyline Regular member

i already checked the jumper, it used to work but then it stopped suddenly i didnt even open the computer but it just stopped working, SO ITS NOT THE JUMPER

11. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Did you slave it to your hard drive like I suggested? Set the DVD burner jumper to slave.

If it still doesn't work, see if you can get a friend, who knows computers, to look at your situation. If you can't get it running, contact Newegg for a replacement drive.