1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD drives getting bad

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by ChGigot, Apr 12, 2005.

1. ChGigot

ChGigot Member

So i started "backing up" dvds and after about 100 dvd's my drives are now having troubles reading the drives and have gotten to the point where it will recgonise the dvd and the name of the dvd in the drive but when it tries to read it for the first time it comes up with an error for my DVD drive. Has anyone out there had this problem? And does anyone out there know how to fix it?

2. Ppower

Ppower Regular member

Did you try cleaning it with a cd/dvd cleaner?

3. ChGigot

ChGigot Member

not yet but it's only been like 2 weeks.

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@ChGigot - need more to go on. Is it burner(s) having trouble and/or standalone players also. Need info on errors if any, details of burning software, logfile (even if no errors) etc; this could simply be down to media compatibility. Post some info and will try to help you out..

5. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Are you having trouble reading the original DVDs too? If you're having trouble with just the burned DVDs, I's say your DVD discs are crappy. But if you have trouble reading the originals too, then maybe your drive is defective and you should exchange it since it's only been 2 weeks. Fingerprints and scratches will affect readability, so maybe you can wipe them down and see if it helps.