1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD drives will not write

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by done4it, Mar 11, 2012.

1. done4it

done4it Member

I have two DVD writers connected to my pc and for some reason they have both lost their ability to write DVDs. They still play DVDs normally but will not write to blank discs. When I use Nero it keeps telling me to insert a blank disc even when the disc inserted is brand new.
    I ran them through Microsoft MS Fix It and for both drives it's answer was "drive is not capable of writing". Can somebody please help me out with my problem in as simple instructions as possible (although I have owned a pc for a few years now I am far from being an expert).

Thanks,
    Wayne

2. attar

attar Senior member

Have you tried going into Device Manager, uninstalling the devices then rebooting?

3. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

I had a similar problem with nero. I had to update nero because my drives weren't supported. After I installed the update I didn't have any more problems.

4. done4it

done4it Member

Thanks, I tried that but it didn't solve the problem.

5. done4it

done4it Member

I am pretty sure it is not a Nero problem because it goes through all of the steps without any prolem at all until it is time to burn the DVD, then it tells me that there is no disc in the drive. Thanks

6. done4it

done4it Member

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me but it turned out to be a simple solution. Something unknown to me happened to my pc that screwed up both of my burning softwares (I also have Sonic Record Now, which also wouldn't work) and I un-installed and re-installed them both and all is working fine now. Thanks again,

Wayne