1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Dual-Layer - Archival Media?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by LeonDigz, Jun 17, 2007.

1. LeonDigz

LeonDigz Guest

I understand you can buy DVD-R archival grade media (i.e 100yrs + data retention), haven't seen DVD+R archival.....

....but seeing as i just bought a laptop with a dual-layer drive, I'd like to be able to do archival backups using dual-layer media, though I'm unable to find such a product! Does it even exist?

Thanks

2. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

The claims about 100 years archival life for DVD-R media are based on very limited testing using non-standard test methods. It is more likely to be 50 years as long as the original recording was a very good recording. DVD+R media should be the same and may have a slight advantage in that they do not rely on pre-pit data.

DL is a very complicated product. I would never put anything on a recordable DL disc that I required to be retrievable after 5 years, but I have not seen any test data on these discs.

Blu-ray discs, on the other hand, are showing life expectancies not much better than grocery lists.