1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD encoding process taking hours error in DVD decrypter

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by philyo, Aug 11, 2004.

1. philyo

philyo Guest

I was using both DVD shrink and decrypter for a few days and they worked fine now both the programs r running terrible. When i start DVD shrink it used to do a quick analysis now it skips that part. Whem i try to backup the dvd the encoding process takes about 2 1/2 hours. When i run dvd decrypter it also runs really slow and when it gets to 21 percent it stops burning on every dvd. I eventually get an error telling me the semaphore timeout period has expired. So I changed from using XP STPI and started using ASPI and nothing has changed. I also have redownloaded both these programs many times. Thanks

2. buxton

buxton Regular member

Have your DVD ROM or DVDRW dropped into PIO Mode? Have a look in device manager under the IDE/ATAPI driver.

3. smsmike

smsmike Regular member

Philyo: What version of Windows are you running. It sounds to me like some other program is running at the same time as your DVD rippers. If you are running any verson of XP, try bringing up your Task Manager to see what else is using your Processor, and how much processor time it's demanding.

Also, as Buxton suggested, you might want to check out your HD and DVD driver settings as well.

- Mike -

4. philyo

philyo Guest

yes they have dropped into PIO mode what does this mean and how do I Fix It

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If the above link doesn't solve the problem it may help to uninstall the drive through Device Manager and if that still doesn't do it try uninstalling the entire IDE :)

7. buxton

buxton Regular member

PIO mode - cool - at least you know what it is now. Do the two things Nephilim suggests.

If you have an nForce2 chipset motherboard go over to www.nVidia.com and get the latest nForce chipset drivers - they have improved IDE drivers that appear to stop that happening.

In fact make sure you have the latest drivers anyway, be it Intel, VIA or SIS.

It's just that it is a known issue on the nForce2 boards.

8. philyo

philyo Guest

I redownloaded the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and the current transfer mode for device 0 is still PIO mode. But the transfer mode in device 0 is DMA and in device 1 both the transfer mode and current transfer mode are in DMA. How can i fix this. Thanks

9. philyo

philyo Guest

Does anyone no what to do?

10. Veblin

Veblin Active member

Did you uninstall the IDE channel and reboot you computer so it gets reinstalled?

11. smsmike

smsmike Regular member

Philyo: Does anyone no what to do?
    ======================================

For the most part, it depends upon what version of Windows you're using. In Windows XP, you can change the transfer mode simply by going to the Device Manager, Selecting the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, Right Click on the Primary IDE channel, select "Properties", "Advanced Settings" then change the choice of mode to DMA. Do the same for the Secondary Channel.

If I remember correctly, Windows 98 had just about the same setup. So, all of the Windows versions "Should" offer you some way to manually change the settings.

If all else fails, use the Windows HELP file under IDE channels and DMA transfers.

There IS a way to do it by hand.

- Mike -

12. buxton

buxton Regular member

1.My Computer - Right Click - Properties - Hardware - Device Manager.

Look for IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. Press the little + sign and it will drop down a little branch with the name of the IDE controller - in your case VIA. Highlight that - press DEL on the keybord and get rid of it. Restart the PC - let XP redetect the IDE Controller - it will the reinstall all the devices attached to that device.

2.Make sure they are on in BIOS.

Press DEL or F1 (It will say during POST when you switch the PC on) and enter the BIOS. Look through the options untill you see the listings for the Hard Disk settings - it will say something like "Integrated Peripherals" - some BIOS's will only only enable two of the channels by default and the others are disabled - set them ALL to AUTO. Make sure "Busmastering" is enabled, it's usually in the same section.

3.Check for device conflicts.

How are your Hard Drives and ATAPI devices connected? Try connecting your booting Hard Drive on IDE1 as Master. And then the drive that is going into PIO mode on IDE2 as Master. Any other drives can be left disconnected for the time being. Check in Windows - if it suddenly goes back into UDMA mode then it may be a conflict on the IDE devices - you will have to swap them around untill you find a combo that works. Some drives just do not like residing on the same cable as other devices.

And if all that failed - as was suggested above - fresh install of Windows.

And if that failed to sort it then it could possibly be a faulty drive.

If you try all of those, assuming the drive is fine, one of them will sort it.
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]I don't know what I am doing.

ABIT NF7 v2.0
    AMD Thoroughbred 1800XP@2.2Ghz
    CorsairXMS-PC3200-2x256Mb
    ATI 9800Pro-128Mb
    Pioneer106-DVDRW[/small]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2004
  13. smsmike

smsmike Regular member

If he has a VIA controller system, (As Do I) and is using Windows XP (As Do I) he should follow the instructions that I gave him.

The system will allow him to change to DMA mode without going through all that crap. It's a simple one step process of selecting DMA mode in the Primary and Secondary Channels and then pressing "OK" after the change is made. A Right Click on Each Channel brings up a LIST of things you can do.

Update Driver
    Uninstall
    Scan for Hardware Changes
    Properties

If you click on "Properties" and go to "Advanced Settings" you can CHANGE to DMA Mode with one simple click and an OK to save the change.

Try It!

- Mike -

14. buxton

buxton Regular member

Yeah I know - but it doesn't always work - sometimes you can change it and then it simply returns to the prev state. Had this exact problem, nForce2 not VIA, had to remove the driver.

Also if he has it set to PIO in BIOS changing it in Windows will do sack all.

Also set it to Plug and Play O/S in BIOS as well.

15. amitn

amitn Member

We are following this thread as we also are facing the same problem. As suggested , I changed the device manager option to PIO Only mode. But it still did not solve the problem.

16. Veblin

Veblin Active member

amitn

You must not be following the thread because no one suggested changing to PIO mode.

17. smsmike

smsmike Regular member

[/quote]Amitn (Newbie) 18 August 2004 17:29
    [/bold]We are following this thread as we also are facing the same problem. As suggested , I changed the device manager option to PIO Only mode. But it still did not solve the problem.
    ==========================

Please re-state your problem (in full), Amitn, and try to include what you have tried so far.

- Mike -

18. amitn

amitn Member

I am using DVD Shrink & DVD Decrypter to write the DVD. The burning process starts of well and when it gets to 20 or 21% it hangs and write speed changes to 0.0.

I have XP Home edition and a I/O Magic 8X DVD Writer which supports all the formarts +-R/+-RW.

I do not remember the exact error it gave but will note it down and post sometime tomorrow when I try again.
    Let me know if you need any more information to help me out.
    Thanks

19. smsmike

smsmike Regular member

Amitn writes: I am using DVD Shrink & DVD Decrypter to write the DVD. The burning process starts of well and when it gets to 20 or 21% it hangs and write speed changes to 0.0.
    =========================

My suggestion is to use DVD Shrink in FILE MODE, which will create a VIDEO_TS folder, and then burn with the "Nero" (file format) burning program. In well over 300 burns, I have NEVER had a failure using that method; and I do mean NEVER!

I don't know why, but ISO formats just seem to give people fits from time to time. The default format for both Shrink and Decrypter is "File Mode" and that's what you should stick with if you want to get good results each and every time.

- Mike -

P.S. I expect to get some disagreement about using ISO Image Files. Some folks just LOVE the darn things...

20. philyo

philyo Guest

I ended up having to reinstall windows and everything seemed to go fine. Until i tried to shrink monsters inc. I think this movie is the one that started my problem in the first place. It told me that dvd shrink could not shrink this movie and if i tried to it would have an error. I didnt try burning it yet it seems as if the movie has reset some of my settings because i can no longer burn movies. I checked my ide contoller and device 0 was in dma but device 1 was in pio do i have the same problem again. Or is there anything I can do besides reload windows again. thanks