1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd encoding

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by donelle, Jan 15, 2007.

1. donelle

donelle Member

when i use dvdshrink3.2 the movies take 3 to 5 hours to encode when it used to take average 30 minutes how can i fix this?

2. vballstud

vballstud Guest

More memory? Maybe increase virtual memory?
    Did you install more programs on your main HD since the time it used to take only 30 minutes?

3. donelle

donelle Member

yes i have updated from 256 to 512

4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

As vballstud brought up, you need enough reserve resources to do the job. Another thing is the software itself. When using Quality Settings it takes longer than without. Even with quality settings in use, that still sounds like a long time. What model PC are you using, the operating system, XP or whatever, the type and speed processor, the amount of RAM and how much is free, and the hard disk size and amount of free space.

5. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

@donelle

Check your drives (hard drive and optical drives) and make sure they're not set to operate in the slower PIO mode, if so then you'll need to set them to operate in the much faster DMA mode. This can happen when a drive is having a problem with reading (or writing to) a disk correctly and is experiencing quite a few read errors, the OS will atomatically set the drive to operate in PIO mode to try and eliminate the errors.

If the drives have reverted to PIO mode, their read/write performance will be slower and most likely your problem. Here is a guide that will take you thru the process of checking and setting them to operate in DMA mode.

How to enable DMA for IDE controller
    http://www.onthegosoft.com/dma_setting_nt.htm
    or
    http://www.burstcopy.com/dma/xp/

It's also a good idea to defrag your hard drive if you haven't done so in a while.

Cheers:)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

johnl123
    The easy and simple way when checking the channels under Controllers in the Device Manager is to uninstall a channel if it is stuck in PIO and then use Scan for Hardware Changes at the top of the Device Manager window. The system should pick the channel (drive) back up in DMA. I was sorta saving that for when I found out if there was enough system to be going very fast and if the Shrink was being used with Quality settings or not. Even with a fast PC, using quality settings can cause Shrink to take a long time.

7. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

@PacMan777

Choosing to uninstall the IDE channel the device is connected to is in my humble opinion the last resort, it is far easier to simply set the device to "DMA mode if available" then restart the pc for the change to take effect (but both methods should yield the same results if the system and the devices are working properly).

@donelle

If the drive/s will not allow DMA mode to be active, or continuously reverts to PIO mode, it's possible that the drive maybe failing (in this case you should replace it with another).

[bold]Also if DMA mode will not enable:[/bold]
    Open the PC's case and make sure the IDE cables are properly seated, try swapping cables and check to see if the problem has also switched for the device(this is a good indicator of a possible bad cable), try connecting the drives to the opposite IDE channels to check the controller itself.

[bold]It's quite possible that it's just a simple PIO to DMA issue[/bold], if you're able to set the drive/s to operate in DMA mode and at some point notice that the drive/s are slower again, try and remember what you did last that could of caused it, if you notice that the drive continuously reverts to PIO mode, its possible that the drive is going bad and should be replaced:( .

8. donelle

donelle Member

THANK YOU ALL FOR REPLYING TO MY REQUEST. I WILL GET BACK TO YOU AND LET YOU KNOW HOW I GOT ON.

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

It does accomplish the same thing and you don't have to go through the boot sequence to check if DMA comes back on. It's faster, so I have no idea why it should be a last resort. Selecting DMA in the box doesn't always get the change.

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I suggest waiting to see what the situation is before we snowball donelle with cures for everything. ;)

11. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

I agree, and rebooting is something I like to do just to make sure;)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007