1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD equivelent to gspot

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by clueless1, May 19, 2004.

1. clueless1

clueless1 Member

hi was wondering if there was a program out there that will analyze a DVD and output its specs. For example if the DVD is with/without menus, with bonus features, aspect ratio, bitrate, stuff like that. Any suggestions?

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I don't think there's any single tool that does all of that, primarily because you're really looking for 2 different areas of information - dvd structure and MPEG-2 structure. I think the best tool to get authoring information from is DVD Shrink. When you open a DVD (or DVD files) with Shrink, it gives you an in-depth analysis of each menu and play item and lets you preview them. There's also a commercial program called DvdReMake (http://www.dimadsoft.com/dvdremake/index.php) that will not only show you menu and structure information, but will also allow you to make extensive changes to it. I believe it costs around $30 for full functionality, but the demo can do everything except actually apply changes, so it might be worth looking into as well.

For getting information about audio and subtitle streams, I'd use DVD Shrink again. You can find out the language, encoding type, and size for each stream, as well as which one plays by default.

The other type of information you want is the actual MPEG-2 video stream information. The best tools to use for this are general purpose MPEG-2 analysis tools. I use a program made by Elecard called MPEG Stream Eye to find bitrates and framerates. I have a trial version I downloaded a few months ago, but I couldn't find it on their website last time I looked. There's also a program called Bitrate Viewer (http://www.tecoltd.com/bitratev.htm) that actually gives you more information about the video than Stream Eye. There's a freeware version of Bitrate Viewer, but from what I understand it's not as accurate as the commercial version so I stick with the Elecard program.

3. clueless1

clueless1 Member

I have about 470 movies i'd like to catalogue so i want something that will kind of automate the whole thing. Kind of like gspot where u just put the disk in and it will display all the information in one screen.

I'll have to do some more searching around. These movies are already authored, so i dont need to do any changes, i just want to catalogue them, noting things like with/without menus, audio tracks, aspect ratio, and that stuff.

Maybe someone with any programming knowledge can write a program that will do this?