1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Experts Needed (4x) Cendyne Question?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by monodax, Jan 22, 2003.

1. monodax

monodax Member

Microcenter has a sale going on for 199.00 for the Cendyne burner, Here is the pic: http://www.microcenter.com/images/specials/specials_615047.jpg

I am wondering if any of you have used this or heard about it. The tech's there said it was the same as a Pioneer but I don't have access to one so I don't know. I mainly wonder if it will work with the cheaper media (1x or 2x) I will be using it for backups of my harddrive mainly.

Here is a link to what I think it is on Cendyne's site: http://www.cendyne.com/product.asp?pid=15

2. lostin

lostin Member

Just picked one up for $149. at Staples
    Seems to run ok. Just using 1X CDRW CD'S
    Compusa has them for $10 for 3

Would like to have the Sony, but it is around
    $350

Gary

3. lostin

lostin Member

Just picked one up for $149. at Staples
    Seems to run ok. Just using 1X CDRW CD'S
    Compusa has them for $10 for 3

Would like to have the Sony, but it is around
    $350..It is a Pioneer DVR-105. Flashed it up to 1.21 from 1.0

Gary

4. Arnie-P

Arnie-P Member

With rebates I gave 179.00 at OFFICE MAX

All the progies I run recognise it as a PIONEER 105
    The firmware update is also PIONEER.

I've backed up 5 movies and they all play no problems.

Sure I'd like the SONY but for the price dif of the CENDYNE you can but a lot of media

5. xer0

xer0 Member

hey arnie, got the same drive here as well... what program did you use to backup the movies? lemme know please...

6. Arnie-P

Arnie-P Member

I use DVDXCopy. Everybody knocks it, says it puts the movie on two disks,personally I wouldn't care if it puts it on five disks, as long as I have a backup.The main thing is shut everything down running in the taskbar, and get you two DVD-RW DVDs ( so you can practice with the dif settings of your backup ) then get you some brand name DVDs. I've been using FUJIFILM DVD-R DV they will backup on our burners at 2x.

7. monodax

monodax Member

Thanks for the replys, I went last night and bought it at staples. You are correct it appears to be a pioneer 05 in cendyne faceplate (no pioneer logo) It sure beats paying full price for the pioneer retail box and no rebate. Now I am researching resellerratings.com trying to find a reputable online place for 4x DVD-R media in bulk that is cheaper than the ones @ local stores in jewel cases.

8. aginster

aginster Member

I was so excited to get my Cendyne, that I didn't scour the forums thoroughly enough before buying my first set of media. For anyone with the Cendyne, or a Pioneer 105, do not waste additional money on the Riteks (03), or probably most other inexpensive media, expecting to burn 2x (supposedly burns 2x on older Pioneer A04). The Pioneer 105 only sees the discs as 1x. So either buy the 4x or stick with the cheaper 1x.

9. Arnie-P

Arnie-P Member

I use the FUJIFILM DVD-R for DATA and VIDEO
    I get a 2x burn with them.

I also picked up a box of MEMOREX DVD-RW to help me not burning coasters, well they are only 1x.

I would like to find some reasonable priced
    DVD-R and DVD-RW 4x. Any ifo will be appreciated

10. AlphaBob

AlphaBob Member

I bought one of the CenDyne DVR-105. It was the Pioneer drive. I immediately updated it to version 1.21 off the Pioneer web site, with no problems (with the update part). All the programs recognize it as Pioneer with 1.21 firmware.

Burning the included DVD-RW went just fine, but only at 1x (don't know what speed the generic media is rated for). The drive didn't ship with any DVD-R media, but I had also purchased some Memorex DVD-R disks just to try while I was waiting for the actual Pioneer 4x media to ship to me.

After two attempts, both at 1X speed, I have had zero success making a DVD-R! Using ULEAD, I was able to make a disk that partially works, but hangs after playing on the DVR-105 drive about 40 min. into a 102 min video. I also tried their bundled software Sonic MyDVD, which refused to burn the disk (after cranking about an hour to setup the files), complaining about the laser power calibration failing.

I'm going to try some 2X rated media tonight and see if it will do anything, but so far I'm dead in the water with respect to DVD-R