1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD External Burner wont burn

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Sonydorta, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Sonydorta

Sonydorta Member

I have a I/O Magic 16x dual burner. Labtop reads the drive. is Able to play music and movies. When I try to burn it starts the burning process of creating the image but when it comes time to burn it just sits their and does not burn. What can I do to make it burn. Burner does work fine I connected it to another computer and it worked just fine. So it has to be sometype of communication with my laptop. I have the latest updates through windows, I have installed ASPI driver, I have the latest udates for the writer. I have also downloaded all the drivers for the ROxio burning software. I have tried Nero also and it does the same thing. Any suggestions on what do I have to do for it to burn.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

First get some RW discs so you can use them after a failed attempt. Try another burn using Nero and post the burn log. Just save it to some location and copy/paste it into a reply. Remove your Nero S/N though. It starts with 1a23 or 1a25 or 1a20...something like that.

I would get rid of Roxio. It has some included packet writing software that conflicts with lots of other applications. I'm not up to speed on what exactly the software is in Roxio. Do a search for "Roxio Conflicts" or something like that.

Nero burn logs are really helpful. Many times we can figure out the problem very quickly.

3. Sonydorta

Sonydorta Member

the problem is that when I do any of the two Nero or Roxio it gets stuck because burner will not burn. Funny part of all this is that I connect it to my desktop at work and burner works fine with Roxio and Nero both. It finishes the burning on both. So how would you like me to do this without it getting stuck and I can actually pull out the log?

4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

We really need to see the log before we can help. It is a wealth of information. Without it, you will not get very far I'm afraid.

Nero & roxio do not get on very well. You need to get rid of roxio. There are far too many people who have problems with it. Unless you post us the log & get rid of roxio, as per fasfrank says, we cannot really help you out!! You have to get rid of "InCd" by nero, it sucks big time. Please help us to help you!
    Sorry to be brutal, but it helps us so much identify your problem.

pulsar

Last edited: Apr 16, 2005
  5. Sonydorta

Sonydorta Member

I understand totally but I can't give you the log because my computer freezes up everytime I burn with Nero. So give me another way of doing this. I have already uninstalled Roxio and I still get this problem. It begins the burn then it asks me for an empy dvd I insert it and it just sits thier.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

does the burner require usb2 & do you have it on both computers??

7. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Do other burning programs give you the same results? Have you tried DVD Decrypter?

8. Sonydorta

Sonydorta Member

Yes the burner is USB2.o. I have an adapter which converts to USB 2. To be exact it is adaptec 1420A. I have an inspiron 2650 labtop. and I just changed to burner to a Mad Dog to see if it is the burner and it is not. I have not tried the DVD decryptor. I believe it is a communication problem. I just need help on how to fix that communication problem. I also have a plextor 708UF and that one works beautifully. I just had to send it back to manufacturer because it got damaged. Til then I am trying out these new burners and I am going through hell and back.

9. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Might as well try Decrypter, just to rule out that it's not software related. I've never seen Decrypter conflict with any other software, so if it does give you problems, I'd say it's something else.

If you think it's a communication issue, you could try another USB cable (try to get one as short as possible). Also, does your laptop and burner support firewire? Firewire is faster than USB2.0 anyway.

10. BTFSB

BTFSB Member

I have the same drive and its not the drive its the drivers for your USB controller. I posted the resolution before but here it goes again.
    1. Go to www.intel.com and download the chipset id utility.
    2. Run the chipset id utility and make sure you have written down what is listed in the top information box.
    3. Back to Intel and download the chipset installation utility for your OS. *Read release notes to match your chipset which you have written down which the chipset id utility showed you.
    4. Run the setup for the chipset installation utility and reboot when prompted.
    5. Enjoy error free burns.

*Note that since you have an external drive you may also be using other USB devices at the same time and it is worth mentioning that you cannot reserve bandwidth for a USB device so it is wise to unplug what you are not using during the burn process.

**Intel note: Microsoft has confirmed that users applying SP2 to Windows XP did not have the USB drivers updated properly and you have the option of updating online or downloading from Intel. Waht? an SP2 bug you say! Yep even Microsoft makes a mistake from time to time.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  11. Sonydorta

Sonydorta Member

Thank you very much for the info. I shall try to see if it works and get back to you guys. Please cross your fingers.

12. Sonydorta

Sonydorta Member

Alright you guys. Sorry took so long to respond. Anyways, did not work what you told me to do. This is what I had to do. I went to Dell.com and went to support. Downloaded the complete chipset for my system installed it and then did the same for my PCMCI Port and guess what driver works like a champ.

13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

teach & learn